newbie questions on LSD and other PreRunner options

t321sg

Hey guys, sorry of all the newbie questions but shopping for a used Tacoma. I am looking at buying used 2008-2014 these are the must haves: 2WD, access cab, long bed, V6, AT, towing package, LSD.

--Was LSD available on 2WD?

--How can you tell if it has an LSD?

--How can you tell if it has a factory towing package vs just an aftermarket hitch?

--Is there a website you can input the VIN and get an option sheet or build sheet to see original options?

Thanks!

Hey guys, sorry of all the newbie questions but shopping for a used Tacoma. I am looking at buying used 2008-2014 these are the must haves: 2WD, access cab, long bed, V6, AT, towing package, LSD.

--How can you tell if it has a factory towing package vs just an aftermarket hitch?

--Is there a website you can input the VIN and get an option sheet or build sheet to see original options?

Thanks!

I can answer the last question. The Toyota owners site has spec lookup: https://www.toyota.com/owners/vehicle-specification

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
All access cabs are long bed. There’s only an option for a 5 foot bed on the double cabs.
The link given above will show all of the OEM installed equipment associated with a VIN.
Also, you’ll be able to tell fairly easy because the factory towing package will have a transmission oil cooler installed. Most (if any) aftermarket tow hitch wouldn’t have that installed.

A mechanical LSD was standard on all 05 to 08 sports and equipped on some 05 to 08 SR5s. It was replaced in 09 for ALSD which works through the brakes.
so an 05-08 PreRunner would need the sport package, and maybe the SR5 package to get an LSD? Or could it be ordered independently outside of those two option packages?

so an 05-08 PreRunner would need the sport package, and maybe the SR5 package to get an LSD? Or could it be ordered independently outside of those two option packages?

Would need to be Sport or an SR5. No other model had it or had the option. The “LSD oil” sticker on the back of the diff is a dead giveaway.

Last edited:
A trd model has the sr5 package included as a prerequisite.
You cannot have a trd of either type without an sr5 trim of some sort... u will never see a stock trd 2nd gen without a rear tinted sliding window for instance, nor without fog lights from the factory.

Its like an M5.... you cant order an M5 based on a 3 series bmw.

Back