Noise in front end after lift

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Stumpman, Jul 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM.

1. Stumpman

Stumpman New Member

A8FAA882-38D3-47BA-8598-E503855B2A89.jpeg I had a toytec lift put on my 2012 Tacoma and everything is good except that it’s making a noise that sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side front. It quits if I go around a right hand curve. Doesn’t quit on left hand turns. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Killowatt

Killowatt Active Member

Search for needle bearing on the TW forum, several threads with pics.

Stumpman likes this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Does it go away in 4wd? Nice truck btw

Bojangles likes this.
  5. OP
    Stumpman

Stumpman New Member

I tried putting it in 4wd but the noise didn’t go away

6. dame3366

dame3366 Member

Sounds like a wheel bearing going out

Stumpman likes this.
  7. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Explain the noise or get a video plz.

kp.taco likes this.
  8. kp.taco

Most likely a wheel bearing but noises are hard to diagnose over the internet. I had 285 tires and no noise.... switched to 265s and instantly pulling out of tire shop had a bad growl from front left wheel bearing.

9. OP
    Stumpman

Stumpman New Member

I’m not a mechanic but I’ve read that with wheel bearings the noise is worse when you turn. Mine totally quits when I turn right but nothing changes when I turn left.

kp.taco likes this.
  10. kp.taco

The reason that the bearing noise goes away on right turns (or curves) is during that maneuver the weight of the vehicle shifts from the right to the left and that "unloading" of the right side wheel position takes some of the vehicle weight off of the right wheel bearing, usually just enough to make the noise go away.

VBTacoma, TacoKen, Stumpman and 2 others like this.