Noisy Power Steering Pump

4Xtruck

I hear a noise in my power steering pump. The sound isn’t necessarily there when I start my truck, but it starts erratically, until it is fairly steady. It is a low frequency growling, rather than the higher frequency sound an idler pulley makes when it starts to go out. I can feel the vibration when I put my hand on the pump, while there is no vibration on any parts around the pump.

A new pump from Toyota is out of my price range. I could buy a rebuild kit, but that only includes gaskets and seal, not any mechanical parts (ie bearings). I’d be concerned I’d open it up and find the parts I ordered weren’t the parts I needed, and I have no transportation other than this truck. Here are parts and prices I have found so far. Please share your thoughts and recommendations. If you have other options you recommend, please supply links, so I can find whatever you are looking at.

Rebuild kits:

EP-1395271 from Toyota Lexus European Parts LLC $13.99

SK534 $15.07

Edelmann 8797 $16.27

Toyota rebuild kit 04446-0W010 $60.20

Toyota bearing 90363-17013 $27.12

New pumps with lifetime warranty:

Ebay – Reddi Parts Group 21-5930 – new cast aluminum/steel -- $82.99

O’Reilly’s Auto Parts – remanufactured MasterPro 990-0207 – cast iron -- $133.99 + tax

Auto Zone – remanufactured Duralast 5685 – cast iron -- $116.99 + tax

Could it be a dirty filter on the bottom of the reservoir? I didn't know it was there when I did my flush last year. The fluid is clear/clean, and I haven't needed to add any fluid since I did the flush.

Back