Off-road or sport?? Buying a new one

Ok I’m going to buy a 2018 Tacoma this week. I can’t decide on the off-road or sport. Price wise they are about the same. I just can’t decide. Any suggestions? Here is where I’m at. I like the tires and rims better on the off-road, sport will probably have tonneau cover, but would have to change tires on sport because it has car tires on it? They off-road doesn’t come with a Tonneau cover. Any suggestions? Just stuck between 2 tacos

Agree w/ cruzjjcruz...I bought the OR and bought a Rugged Premium trifold hardtop cover. Most brand name covers are better than the OEM covers (as I’ve heard from others on this forum), and installation is not difficult. To me, the OR is more versatile and rugged than the Sport, and includes more goodies IMHO.

I have no real desire to go off-road so I have the TRD sport, but if you can get the OR for the same price etc might as get the one with more features. Overall, the sport is very capable - especially when you put bigger tires on it.

I bought my Tacoma in July of this year. I test drove a 2018 Sport and TRD off road at the same dealership. They were even the same color, and both V6 and automatic.

The suspension on the sport is more harsh, and the hood scoop limits forward view. The 17-inch rims limit tire choices and raise the price considerably when compared to the 16-inch rims on the off-road.

The off-road had a softer suspension, and now, with over 3K miles on the truck, I have yet to feel a lean or understeer from a 'too soft' suspension. Then there are the options that the off-road can get that the sport cannot.

Concerning the 'truck tires' on the off-road. Mine came with blackwall Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar. The best behaving tires that I have had on a non-sportscar in my almost 50 years of driving. I'm curious as to the life of the tires, but time will tell.

Overall, I am satisfied with my truck. It came from the dealer with low rear and front axle fluid (20 ounces and 4 ounces, respectively), horribly overinflated tires, 9 ounces low on AT fluid, and low antifreeze levels. At 1700 miles my 'information center' went south. First the clock stopped working, then the GPS had me driving thru streams, lakes and across major highways. The dealer fixed the 'information center' under warranty. Evidently a bad antenna connection toasted the GPS unit in the 'information center'. The cost of the info center is $3600 retail. So far, the replacement unit works fine.

Back