Oil change

I have no idea what different toyota dealerships in various parts of the country get for motor oil, but mobil1 is really popular at many places here. Kendall was big for years at all the area auto shops, but you just don't see it at these shops anymore.
Yota shop in Topeka uses havoline by Chevron according to the return for service reminder

One is a synthetic motor oil blend, the other is a high mileage synthetic....high mileage motor oils are suppose to have have various additive packages to help prolong the life of engine seals as they become older. Seems everything is going synthetic these days with vehicles running hotter, and cleaner while having much longer oci's.
Truth is, I've never used the high mileage brands in my tundra when it got over 75k miles, and it was always fine.

It says synthetic technology and not full synthetic
So colour me confused!

Both are Same price at Walmart currently

When one is a synthetic blend, it means it's a semi synthetic which is fine. Usually synthetic means it's a full synthetic, but much of that is a marketing ploy. It's usually found to be a semi-synthetic. Even mobil1 is a semi synthetic, yet they advertise their product as a synthetic. Amsoil is a full synthetic motor oil. You really need to carefully read if these oils say in writing they are a full synthetic.

Yeah, don't run cheap dino oils in your toyota for 10k miles. Most synthetics that meet, or exceed the manufactures specs. are ok.

Yeah, don't run cheap dino oils in your toyota for 10k miles. Most synthetics that meet, or exceed the manufactures specs. are ok.

it was stated that dealer serviced every 10k led to this need for engine teardown
and many engines like this one out there with same issue

Unfortunately it didn't say what type oil the dealer used to service this vehicle, plus it's not even a truck engine. Toyota has been noted for building some sludge engines in the past like their 3.0 v6 used in the highlander that was recommended to use dino oil, not a synthetic. There were also some chitbox 4 bangers too. These videos toyota god puts out can be very misleading.

Y'all missed the key phrase the Toyota god spewed forward.

The 10,000 mile oil change is to promote less maintenance and still allow the engine to get past the warranty. He makes the statement early in the vid.

Thanks. I'll stay on the 5,000 mile OCI. A few extra oil changes are a lot less expensive than an engine. Plus as a DIYer, my change costs about $40 and 20 minutes.

In truth, you don't ever have to change the oil. The engine will run.......for some time.

With these engines today, and the synthetic's, I think it's safe to say if you never change your oil you can get 100k miles before it slowly dies. I trust the toyota engine manufactures when they claim 10k oil changes using synthetics are all thats needed....of course thats for normal use driving a lot of highway miles per day. Even when I was in Europe a few years ago they have even longer oil change intervals, and all their cars have been doing fine. I've only had 10k mile oil changes on our 2012 prius with the same 0w20 synthetics my tacoma needs. The prius is at nearly 115k miles, still runs like new. I spoke with the tech that changes the oil, says with the same oci's, he's got prius's with over 250k miles out there running fine. I'll bet the rest of the vehicle will fall apart before the engine does.

need an oil and filter change again so soon lol
got my punchCard for Topeka Toyota with 2 punches left
gonna wheel it there tomorrow and also check on those OEM parts bot on 4th of July discount that have not yet been shipped out, what's the hold up seriously, backordered for 2 months??

The 3.4 5vz is well-known to breathe better at higher rpms and it likes it
I have no clue how those guys can stomach taking it over 4k rpm and really let the massive ponies run wild
So I may have tried it once in probably gear #3

Back