Oil Fliters

Joshuarubin09

I was told buy one of my buddies that I should get a bigger oil filter, which could help out the engine with cleaner oil or what not. Anyone hear anything like that?

I used to run a K&N HP-3001 but I ditched it because I was commuting to work and $13 a filter would add up. I ran it because I wanted more filtration capacity but it probably wasn't happening. On TW, Chris4x4 opened up a bunch of filters for comparison and almost all much looked similar to OEM with some exceptions. I believe the KN filters has less filter media than OEM so this oversized one i was running would probably have about the same as OEM.

Attachments

• 1375279502481.jpg
    1375279502481.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 74
As long as its not a fram... Odds are you're good. Mine just got a nice new oem yesterday (since i went to dealer for my 5k toyotacare maint.).

Fram filters are just junk in my opinion. I just stick to oem in every vehicle i've ever had. RI is small so i've never had to travel far to get them.

Fram uses cardboard ends and cheap glue on the internals. Several people have had a Fram filter implode on them causing an engine failure. I used to use Fram and I never had issues but I would never use their oil filters again.

I have never had any problems with Fram, I have used them in every car, truck and race car I have ever owned or built.

I also always use oem. I just had to put a fram in my moms rv because that's the only filter they had to fit it and it needed one ASAP, so we will see how that works out. I was cringing the whole time I was tightening it up lol.

I was told buy one of my buddies that I should get a bigger oil filter, which could help out the engine with cleaner oil or what not. Anyone hear anything like that?
No point In buying a bigger on. It only holds a little more oil is all. If you want something better for filtering purposes then purchase the TRD high performance filter. During training it was told to us that if has a little better filtering properties (made for performance) meaning that the element inside catches and holds more pollutants in the oil or falls somehow inside of the motor or oil pan. OE filter is good enough though it's what the truck is built with.

Bigger filters increase oil capacity. Everything else being equal, if there is a bigger filter that will fit your base, it will give a slight advantage due to the fact that there is a slight increase in oil volume. We're talking about a few ounces, you decide if that will make a difference.

If you are concerned about your oil, install an oil cooler and a bigger oil pan. The Tacos might have a cooler, I never checked. If you already have a cooler, get a bigger one. I can promise you that your engine that never sees the high side of 4,000 RPM will never know the difference.

Back