Opinions of the rust on this possible Tacoma candidate

SGKukov

Hey Guys,

About to buy an 08 Tacoma 4cyl for $11k. Rest of the truck seems great but the driver side front suspension and crossmember has me a little scared, whats strange is the RH side is a night and day difference it seems fine.

what do ya'll think?

Attachments

• 20150926_123641.jpg
    20150926_123641.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 63
  • 20150926_123647.jpg
    20150926_123647.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20150926_123656.jpg
    20150926_123656.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 63
The only thing I would be doing is some major research on that truck before I bought it. Rust is bad. Might sound like a good deal but how much $$ will you end up putting into it? That's just my opinion.

If the wall of the frame is decreased in thickness or any of the attachment points of the suspension don't buy it!! I do have a potential way out of this rusting POS! Have A Toyota dealer run the vin for the rust perforation warranty! If the trucks vin shows it wasn't corrosion protected correctly during manufacturing, then, you could get one of two things. They clean the frame the best they can with the truck assembled and rust proof it. Then no more coverage! Or, frame replacement! New LCA's and brake lines, fuel lines a bunch of parts along with a new frame!!! Check into the Vin!!!!

Hey Silver, thanks for the response. The guy said he brought it to Toyota and they coated the frame a year ago. I can tell the frame was coated in the back but it almost seems like they skimped him on the front.

The guy is older, retired. From talking to him i feel like maybe they took advantage of him but i dont know for certain. He really talks up the dealerships "you can bring it to a shop and save a few bucks, but bring it to a dealership you can trust them and then you have peace of mind"

If this truck was already coated by Toyota, are they absolved of all future rust problems? Seems like they intentionally didnt touch the front, IF the undercarriage was coated a year ago that rust must have been present then.

It's surface rust. Looks like the truck is from snow country where salt is used to help with icy roads. I would take to a dealer
and have them check brake lines etc. I don't think cost to replace shocks and brake lines is too much but might be more damage
than what is in the pics so get it checked.

Since and when I first heard of the FRAME and UNDERCARIAGE Rust problem, I purchased a product made by AMSOIL called Heavy Duty Metal Protector and bought 4 cans and sprayed over and over the entire undercarriage, suspension, Floor pans,body and suspension mounts and everything but the exhaust and tires underneath my Tacoma 3-4 times in up above frame, inner and outer and under frame, brake lines, steering assembly, axle, tranny,engine,lower radiator,driveline and so much more ! Gona do again this fall, did when I bought new first time Fall of 2012 ! do every 2-3 years as like undercoating ! No Rust at all visible at all . Central FL. Lake County, Eustis,FL. Bob G.

Back