overdrive gear ATM - A340E A340F

Me thinks jay needs to drive one of these newer 6 speed auto's that have S modes to play with, so they act like a manual with no clutch to work.

So some more on my BS. I have had every oil change done at the same dealer because they were free. I changed my oil yesterday myself, used Mobil1 0W20 with Toyota OEM filter. I drove the truck today for about 80 miles and it has not driven this good since I bought it! I am not 100%, but I feel as if there was too much oil in it. I drained all the oil (obviously) and put in 6 quarts exactly. Looking forward to driving it more tomorrow!

So some more on my BS. I have had every oil change done at the same dealer because they were free. I changed my oil yesterday myself, used Mobil1 0W20 with Toyota OEM filter. I drove the truck today for about 80 miles and it has not driven this good since I bought it! I am not 100%, but I feel as if there was too much oil in it. I drained all the oil (obviously) and put in 6 quarts exactly. Looking forward to driving it more tomorrow!

did you ever check the oil checkstick after and/or during the OCI?

how much oil was drained out doing the DIY?

did you ever check the oil checkstick after and/or during the OCI?

how much oil was drained out doing the DIY?
I just got back from driving it again just because I am in disbelief. I did check the dip stick several times and it seemed as if it was high but it seems hard to read being full synthetic, its so clear. I used a 7 quart drain pan to drain the oil into and it was damn near to the top of it. I refilled the 5 quart jug and the 1 quart jug completely to the top of each jug and had some spill. All I can do is assume, is guess, because all I did was change the oil and filter.

It actually takes about 6 qts, and 8 oz of motor oil once you load the filter canister before installing it back on. That will bring the oil between the marks on the dipstick. I wonder if your engine still has a lot of fuel blowing by the rings...reason for thinking too much oil. Rings take longer to seat when using fresh synthetic oil, especially if doing 3-5k oil changes on a new motor. You'll end up with loss of performance to.
As far as it driving better due to your oil change...lets just say I'm still laughing at that one. It sounds more like your transmission is starting to smarten up. I was surprised when mine began to do the same...was almost overnight the truck began to preform far better. Maybe some take longer idk.

It actually takes about 6 qts, and 8 oz of motor oil once you load the filter canister before installing it back on. That will bring the oil between the marks on the dipstick. I wonder if your engine still has a lot of fuel blowing by the rings...reason for thinking too much oil. Rings take longer to seat when using fresh synthetic oil, especially if doing 3-5k oil changes on a new motor. You'll end up with loss of performance to.
As far as it driving better due to your oil change...lets just say I'm still laughing at that one. It sounds more like your transmission is starting to smarten up. I was surprised when mine began to do the same...was almost overnight the truck began to preform far better. Maybe some take longer idk.
Glad it only took 30,000 miles to mysteriously start running better after I did something to it.

perhaps this Gen2 is being shiitty shifting because the ATF T-IV level on the checkStick is a little over the top hash on the hot side when it is not so brutal cold outside after a long wheel

eyeballing it is around 1 inch over the top hash
IDK :confused:

perhaps this Gen2 is being shiitty shifting because the ATF T-IV level on the checkStick is a little over the top hash on the hot side when it is not so brutal cold outside after a long wheel

eyeballing it is around 1 inch over the top hash
IDK :confused:
Its too full.

Drain some.

Make sure you are checking the fluid at the precise temp range called for. It'll read overfilled if the atf gets too hot....under filled if not hot enough. There's only a certain temp spread it can correctly checked in.

I would think so even for the trans having dipsticks. Read your owners manual if it list it. I recall my tundra had a certain procedure to check the atf level on its dipstick. Nothing about a certain temp spread....just that the engine needed to be idling at full warmup/operating temps before going through the gear shift procedure when checking the level. I can tell you these newer sealed transmissions are far more critical.

it just says hot on the orange checkStick

hot when it is zero degrees out is a bit diffrent than hot and 50 out
with the same amount of miles ran out before checking

perhaps a better gander would be to check at morning cold startup and see what level is like?

Is it the torque converter that controls shifting down from D To gear 3
A humming noise coming from under whilst it is struggling to downshift like an automatic ought?

Humming noise from an automatic?.....never on any automatic equipped truck I ever owned.

Last edited:
definite humming and refusing to gently downShift into 3 from D to pick up speed
and have to MANually move selector from D to 3 to gitty up the hilly and maintain speed

Back