Part Replacement

donvido47

When it comes to replacing parts (drive train/axles etc) do you drive down to the dealership and get Toyota parts, or do you opt for aftermarket parts? It's time for me to start replacing some things, and I can't decide which way to go.

Depends on what I'm buying.

Most parts are from the auto parts store but when your looking for OEM parts I go to the dealer. Helps if you have a part #. And a price. Been doing research on this. Best way to find what your Truck was installed with from factory is 1st go here to obtain vehicle code #'s all you need is your VIN number and it will tell you what you have, model code, etc.

http://www.toyodiy.com/

Then I go here for OEM part #'s as it gives you the exact part on your particular truck.

http://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/

Then I go to my dealer website and sub site to parts and punch in part #, it will tell you price and whether or not part is still available to order.

You can also get a printout from the parts counter of what your truck was ordered with and will give the original sticker price, date of production and dealership that ordered it.

This site is a great place to get diagrams of your truck's assembly, just click on whatever diagram you need to bring it up to full screen and save the image or print it. Just make sure it's the diagram for your year. Parts dealer will print it out as well if you ask.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/default.aspx

Now at the parts counter I have always gone to one guy in particular and start up a conversation with him, shoot the bull so to speak, he in return is now giving me discounts and recently some parts for free. Yeah free, I like free! He also owns a Taco and we swap stories so pays to get to know your go to guy in the parts department. I feel confident now that when I want an OEM part he will cut me a deal instead of making me pay full price.

I usually buy OEM...but usually on-line at various places like at TRD4U. I very much dislike going to the local dealer (35 mi away).

However, I ripped off my trailer lights socket. Toyota parts counted wanted $270 for the 7-pin replacement. I choose instead to buy an aftermarket part from Camping World for $21. I call BS on almost all of Toyota's part prices. :furious:

Its really depend on what type of part & how difficult its to install. If it is something easy like alternator, starter, or brakes, I would settle with aftermarkets with their lifetime warranty. Enternal parts, rings, gear parts, or electronic components, I would go with the LOCAL TOYOTA STEALERSHIP.

I usually buy OEM...but usually on-line at various places like at TRD4U. I very much dislike going to the local dealer (35 mi away).

However, I ripped off my trailer lights socket. Toyota parts counted wanted $270 for the 7-pin replacement. I choose instead to buy an aftermarket part from Camping World for $21. I call BS on almost all of Toyota's part prices. :furious:
I will agree with you on that. They priced a new rear shock at $401. $550 with install. Bought it online for $266 shipped to my door. Installed it myself. Sorry. Didn't mean to jump in on you guys.

Back