PIAA Horns

Rock62

Considering replacing the OEM horns (beep beep) with a 4 tone set of PIAA horns, 330, 400, 500 and 600 Hz with a 115 dBA. Each horn has a 2.7A rating, meaning with all 4 in a parallel circuit the supply wiring needs to handle 11A (by math 10.8A). This should produce a sound similar to the ol' monster sleds of the 60-70s, like a Buick Electra, Ford LTD, Chrysler Imperial or other monster sleds. Total spend for the horns will be around $125.

Couple questions.
Will the stock horn wiring handle 11A? If not, what changes need to be made?
I have no problems using a relay with the stock truck wiring on the relay signal side. I'd like the relay power side to be supplied from the fuse box, not a direct connection to the battery. Direct connection to battery works, but always looks like a hack job. My fuse box has a few empty slots.

Has anyone installed a set of PIAA horns? If so, what is your impression of the horn.

I've had times when I need to break another driver off their cell phone or a gansa's door rattlin' heavy base c-rap, the anemic beep-beeeeeep doesn't really command attention. No, I do not want to have the trouble and complication of an air horn system.

I don't use the horn often, but when I do it should command attention. When I honk, I'm not waving Hi.

I'm not very strong with electric systems. I have the ability to destroy the smoke seals letting the smoke out of electric stuff.

Last edited:
2o11 horn must've changed
There is no traditional beepbeep going on there

Would a yota '11 horn just bolt right onto existing wiring?
I'm sure it would. Although, I'm looking to have the horn voice be a 4 tone chord. Like the old heavy monster sleds from the 1960-70s.

The details I have sorted out are as follows:
Wire should be about a 14AWG
Fuse should be changed to a 15A
Relay is the same as the Fog Light relay which is on a 15A fuse.

In a nutshell, I only need to determine the wire gauge for the OEM horns and change the mini fuse to a 15A from a 10A fuse. The horns have a 2.7A rating, but they probably draw less current in use. Current ratings are typically based on when the item fails. So, I may be able to install the PIAA horn set without any changes to the wiring or fusing.

Leaving the question of the satisfaction level of PIAA horns based on previous owners who have used PIAA horns.

I'd make one suggestion. If you've determined 14 AWG is correct go to 12 AWG. In other words, always go one size larger than you think you need. An auto manufacturer will always use the absolute smallest wire possible. Using a size smaller wire on hundreds of thousands of vehicles is a sizeable cost difference. But you are doing just one vehicle, your's, the cost between the two wire sizes is meaningless.

Thanks Don.

Already considered. Based on the current and estimated wire run length, the gauge falls between 16 and 14 AWG. So, I agree use
the larger size gauge.

One of the steps I plan on taking is to place an ammeter in the circuit to verify the current draw while the stock horns are operating. I suspect the current draw is well below the 10A fuse in that circuit. I'll do the same check when the 4 tone system is installed. Need to verify the work, then make corrections as needed.

I could probably push the 16AWG wire a bit because the horn only has short intermittent use.

Last edited:
Horn on my 2020 sr5 is as loud as my older tundra's, and sounds similar...no beep beep. You have to be deaf not to hear it.

Maybe one of the two OEM horns is not functioning. They're 17 yo.....one could be dead.

Anyhow, I'm still looking at replacing them with the 4 tone system. Should give the truck a commanding voice.

Anybody have experience with PIAA horns???

train whistle is your best bet for commanding attention as needed

It can also be used to warn animals or trespassers in our right-of-way along a section of track

Thanks for the idea.

Although, mounting a steam generator with a fire box, fuel, water, piping, valves....... falls out of the practical solution arena. I don't frequent driving on railroad tracks..............o_O

hmmm, i don't believe modern locomotives use a steam whistle or do they? perhaps get the modern train whistle!?

hmmm, i don't believe modern locomotives use a steam whistle or do they? perhaps get the modern train whistle!?
Those are air horns. Substantial equipment to operate. Plus they are illegal for road use.

Thanks for the idea.

BTW, I'm just responding to your posts and suggestions.

No, I have not ever heard of these type of horns before!

:rolleyes:
Thanks for your input.......

FWIW. PIAA is a brand name. They specialize in aftermarket headlights, off road lights, horns and other add-on/replacements for vehicles.

Last edited:
Friggin train that comes by a couple miles from me has a horn that sounds like a big ship horn. You can hear that sucker miles away.

Friggin train that comes by a couple miles from me has a horn that sounds like a big ship horn. You can hear that sucker miles away.
that is so awesome! i love train horns, absolutely love them!

Train horns are rated at 130-150 dBa at 150 feet. So, at the source they are insane loud. As annoying as trains horns are, they are an important part of the Safety System for road crossings.

Typical, vehicle horns are limited to about 120 dBa at about 1 foot. BIG difference.

Sound has unique properties in air. General rule of thumb. Every doubling of distance is about a 3 dB reduction. So, the train horn that is 150 dB at 150 feet will be near 153 dB at 75 ft, 156 dB at 38 feet, 159 dB at 19 feet...........close to 170 dB at 1 foot from the horn. This is not a linear relationship. Decibels are on logarithmic scale.

Last edited:
Train horns are rated at 130-150 dBa at 150 feet. So, at the source they are insane loud. As annoying as trains horns are, they are an important part of the Safety System for road crossings.

Typical, vehicle horns are limited to about 120 dBa at about 1 foot. BIG difference.

Sound has unique properties in air. General rule of thumb. Every doubling of distance is about a 3 dB reduction. So, the train horn that is 150 dBa at 150 feet will be near 153 dB at 75 ft, 156 dBa at 38 feet, 159 dBa at 19 feet...........close to 170 dBa at 1 foot from the horn. This is not a linear relationship. Decibels are on logarithmic scale.
I get it...their loud.

Back