PIAA Horns

there are situations when my go green traffic light turns green at a busy intersection
those that are turning left in front of us waiting for our light when THEIR traffic is backed up get caught in the intersection, sometimes several vehicles if two left turn lanes, and THEIR light is now red mine is green... but they are blocking the intersection, impeding traffic, we can't go anywhere with them blocking the intersection

this is the perfect situation to wheel on up to them stop and blast that airhorn to make them aware to not ever do this again if at all possible

i wonder how loud it would be in a vacuum!
Seriously????? Trust me, it would be silent.

Your scenario of the Left turn traffic blocking the intersection while cross traffic has the green. It is a legal maneuver for the left turn. The actions you propose are not legal and fall into the category of road rage.

Perhaps you should review the Driver's Ed literature and consider taking a safe driving class.

The purpose of the horn is a warning device of your vehicle's presence or danger.

It is NOT meant to yell at other drivers executing legal maneuvers.

Last edited:
its common courtesy to NOT block busy intersections left turning when your turn light will be soon RED and you're sitting there like a duck

Ok.....so you have never been in the intersection making a Left turn waiting for an opening in traffic when the light changes?

Left turn MUST YIELD to oncoming traffic. Even if the oncoming traffic is running the yellow/red. The cross traffic can not proceed on the green until the intersection has cleared.

I'll suggest you need to take a Safe Driving Course. The side benefit is most insurance companies will give you a reduction on the premium.

Every few years, I'll enroll in a Motorcycle Safety course. Each time I learn a new skill and hone my previous skills. Many of these skills are applicable to driving 4 wheels.

if i see vehicles already backed up in a busy intersection turning left i shall wait at the end of the turn lane and hang back, never go and park in front of the traffic whose green light is to come... most of the time the turn light will turn red and then hang out and wait for the next green arrow

i failed the first driving test because i ran over the curb in the driver testing lot
i failed the 2nd driving test because my eyes were shot to shat and needed an eye exam :confused:

if i see vehicles already backed up in a busy intersection turning left i shall wait at the end of the turn lane and hang back, never go and park in front of the traffic whose green light is to come... most of the time the turn light will turn red and then hang out and wait for the next green arrow

i failed the first driving test because i ran over the curb in the driver testing lot
i failed the 2nd driving test because my eyes were shot to shat and needed an eye exam :confused:
Actually I did really well when I took my drivers test back in 1966. I scared the chit out of my motor vehicle inspector when I aced the parallel parking part of the test...nearly taking a door off the car in front of me.

Train horns are rated at 130-150 dBa at 150 feet. So, at the source they are insane loud. As annoying as trains horns are, they are an important part of the Safety System for road crossings.

Typical, vehicle horns are limited to about 120 dBa at about 1 foot. BIG difference.

Sound has unique properties in air. General rule of thumb. Every doubling of distance is about a 3 dB reduction. So, the train horn that is 150 dBa at 150 feet will be near 153 dB at 75 ft, 156 dBa at 38 feet, 159 dBa at 19 feet...........close to 170 dBa at 1 foot from the horn. This is not a linear relationship. Decibels are on logarithmic scale.
Yep, loud enough to raise the dead. And yet people ignore them and their relatives blame the railroad for their death.

i wonder how loud it would be in a vacuum!
Well, since sound transmission requires some sort of medium to be transmitted it would still be transmitted through the solid connection of the horn unless you figure out a way to suspend it in a complete vacuum.

Back