Plug Conversion Possible?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by B-Man, Jun 10, 2018.

1. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Reviewing some of the portable air compressors. They have the alligator clips that clip on to the '+' and '-' terminals of your battery to operate. My question is can you convert those alligator clamps to a 3-prong plug-in to operate in the plug-in in the bed of a 3rd Gen? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

It’s possible but the power might not be enough on the bed plug.

B-Man likes this.
  4. OP
    B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

The compressor I'm looking at draws 30amps so I don't think the bed plug will work for this. Too many watts than the inverter will produce. (400)

5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Those compressors run off of 12 volts DC. The inverter generates 120 volts AC. It would take some work to do and it wouldn't be worth it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Bogunn, Crawdad and B-Man like this.
  6. OP
    B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

OR17TRD likes this.