Power Steering Pump - Going Bad?

Will Evans

Hey guys, question:

When I put my truck into drive and pull out making a right turn it makes a grunt/groaning noise. It's a very brief noise and I can slightly feel it while my foot on the accelerator. Only happens once, soon after starting the engine and putting in drive.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked the lines for leaks? What year is the truck and mileage? No noise on left turns? Only does this just after putting in drive and not any other time?

Have you checked the lines for leaks? What year is the truck and mileage? No noise on left turns? Only does this just after putting in drive and not any other time?

The resevoir hasn't gone down so I'd like to think that's good enough to suggest I don't have a leak. Lol. It's an 06 TRD dbl cab with 250,000 kilometers or 157,000 miles and it only does happens when I go from park to drive and am just pulling out.

The resevoir hasn't gone down so I'd like to think that's good enough to suggest I don't have a leak. Lol. It's an 06 TRD dbl cab with 250,000 kilometers or 157,000 miles and it only does happens when I go from park to drive and am just pulling out.

There’s no mistaking the death moans of a power steering pump. Even with no leaks check your lines, etc.
also, if it’s ran low on fluid in the past it’ll cause it to moan and squeal even after refilling until it goes out. It’s a pretty versatile piece of your vehicle though. Hard to completely kill. It’s usually a slow death for them.

Back