Premium Gas for 3rd gen

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Taco Slinger 4000, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Taco Slinger 4000

Taco Slinger 4000 Well-Known Member

I was told at the dealership that I should only use 91 or higher when filling up my truck? Is there any consequence to using a lower grade or higher grade like 93? Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

87 octane. Anything over is a proven waste.

4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The trucks call for 87. Some people will put a higher octane in but that isn’t recommended by Toyota.

Taco Slinger 4000 likes this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

IMG_1920.JPG
    Per the manual: 87 or higher. You can put 93 in it. It may give you a a couple more mpg. But it’s definitely not required or even recommended.

6. pondman

pondman Well-Known Member

Unless you are a Premium Athlete , Running a US based fuel , Eat right , preform Correctly, win !
    So Say you Eat a Big Ol Bowl of Sugar Wheats & you Peter out after the First 100 meters, you still showed up to the race right !
    It's just the Big Ass Gas companies wanting Your Money ! Go with the cheap or mid grade nothing more , change your fuel filter every 60 k. If it bugs you that much ...
    To heck with the Environment and the Air that " You " Breathe !
    More Oxygen for The Obscenely over powerd vehicles in the US...

7. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

If the higher grade has less or no ethanol, you will get more power. Otherwise it's a waste.

B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  8. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

I use 89 just in case the 87 isn’t up to standards. I prefer texaco or chevron at all times possible

Taco Slinger 4000 likes this.
  9. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

Adam's ruins everything did a show on feul octane rating and the feul companies being sued over and over for misleading the public. It's a must watch.

10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

11. conflictingintentions

conflictingintentions Well-Known Member

87. It’s even in the manual

12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

One station up here sells Premium.....5% Ethanol............. and 10% Ethanol.........tried all 3 and I'm gettin my best mileage with the 5% blend. It's .30 cents cheaper than the Premium @ $2.64/gal.

13. Series6

Series6 Well-Known Member

On a recent road trip I ran thru states that didn't have 87. 85 or 90something. Fuel was less than I was used to at home so I tried the higher octane. And the results: (drum roll please)...

There you have it.

Bogunn likes this.
  14. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Exactly nothing. Even if its 100 octane, you wont notice a difference
    BUT..... if lower octane than what’s required is used, you can start getting pre detonation ( ping or knocking sound). Could be bad if you keep running it

15. Series6

Series6 Well-Known Member

No chance I'd go under the recommended. Tried it and felt/saw/calculated no advantage

16. finneganlives

finneganlives New Member

If it has boost (supercharger or turbo) or high compression heads go higher octane if not just run normal octane fuels. Mechanic tested common sense rulez here!

17. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Direct injection pretty much eliminates the need for higher octane in most applications.

Series6 and Bogunn like this.
  18. OR17TRD

Everyone I’ve had.

whippersnapper02 and Bogunn like this.
  19. OR17TRD

Is that one of those ones with a MAF things I’ve heard about?

Bogunn and whippersnapper02 like this.
  20. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

MAF. Isn’t that the part that works really well with oiled K&N filters? Lol

OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.
  21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Check this out. K&N response to the MAF “myth”. I still don’t think I’ll be taking any chances.

https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

OR17TRD likes this.