Radio display stopped working

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by goob760, Jul 27, 2019.

1. goob760

goob760 Member

Was driving the other day and the display on my stock radio started blinking and flashing off and on. Now it’s completely blank. The music still plays but I can’t change the station, change the volume, or anything else. I checked the fuse after it went completely blank and it’s fine but I replaced it anyways. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

Sounds like it’s a paperweight now. I would try one thing. Unhook the battery for a couple minutes and see if it resets something. Hope it works. What model truck is it?

Scott Wyman and goob760 like this.
  4. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

That’s what I was kinda figuring. It’s a prerunner. I’ll try the battery thing tomorrow morning. Thanks dude!

Scott Wyman likes this.
  5. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

What year truck? JBL? or non JBL

6. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

2006. Yes JBL

Scott Wyman likes this.
  7. kp.taco

Dang.. I've got the stock radio out of my 2009 I'd sell cheap. But its non JBL so it's a no go [emoji852]

8. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

Damn that sucks man that would of been perfect. I appreciate it tho! I’m gonna try the battery thing tomorrow. If all else fails looks like I gotta spend some cash and get a touchscreen [emoji16]

Scott Wyman and kp.taco like this.
  9. dirtytaco

Amazon sells those 7” double din head units pretty cheap. I mean, you can’t expect it to last forever but you never know. They have everything though... dvd,gps,camera input,Android auto and apple carplay. Less than a $200. You can even hook up the steering wheel controls. If the entune unit in my 16’ takes a dump, I’ll be getting one of those

Scott Wyman likes this.
  10. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

Well dudes, I disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for roughly 20 mins before putting it back together. Now the radio doesn’t work at all [emoji23] time to get a new one!

Malicious Mike likes this.
  11. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

I’ve seen those on there. I’ll look into them today might grab me one

12. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Well man at least you tried. Sorry for the crap luck. Lol I never have good luck either

goob760 likes this.
  13. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

It’s all good man I needed a reason to get a new radio. I only own like 3 CDs and they are all Metallica so it’s time to get something with Bluetooth so I can switch up the music from time to time

Lil G and kp.taco like this.
  14. dirtytaco

Man that sucks. I guess it was on it’s last leg.

Lil G and goob760 like this.
  15. kp.taco

Upgrade time!

goob760 and Lil G like this.
  16. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Hard to beat Metallica black!!!! Or hero of the day.

goob760 likes this.
  17. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

Agreed! And Justice for All is the cd stuck in there so it’s only 9 songs on loop I’m burnt out lol

18. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Lol . I bet.

goob760 likes this.
  19. s12dxer

s12dxer New Member

I have a JBL unit from my 2007 that was pulled a few years ago. PM me if you’re interested.

If you’re going new, I’d recommend getting a pioneer unit with CarPlay and you can get an amp to connect to the factory jbl system and still use the sub. The sound is great with the factory jbl speakers and a new amp.

goob760 likes this.
  20. Malicious Mike

Malicious Mike Well-Known Member

Did you check the power steering fluid?

Scott Wyman, B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  21. OP
    goob760

goob760 Member

Good one malicious mike

B-Man likes this.