Re-gear with 33”s

I have 285-70-17’s on my TRD Sport and I love them ! Trucks wasn’t designed for gas mileage. They were designed for hauling, a work, sports, camping, etc, etc. My dad had a 1962 Datsun pickup with a 1200cc Motor that put out a whopping 60 horsepower. Even that didn’t get all that great mileage, but he loved that truck and went everywhere in it ! I love my 2nd Gen Taco !

In case anyone cares....
@ 2.50$ per gallon (cost of 87 fuel here) 13mpg cost .19$ per mile and 19mpg cost .13$ per gallon. .06$ difference and @ 15,000 miles per year = 900$ so you could potentially pay for your regear in about 3 years depending on how many miles you do, obviously the more you drive the quicker you get your money back.

If you could do it yourself for the cost of parts (I cant) it would certainly be worth it but at a cost of approx 2,000$.... well you decide. Most generally dont do it for street driving or even moderate wheeling, with 33s or 1 step in gearing. Like others have already said, with a 35 or larger where your engine will be lugging it will drive better, won't hurt the health of your 3.5L and will be much better offroad with the proper gear set up

In case anyone cares....
@ 2.50$ per gallon (cost of 87 fuel here) 13mpg cost .19$ per mile and 19mpg cost .13$ per gallon. .06$ difference and @ 15,000 miles per year = 900$ so you could potentially pay for your regear in about 3 years depending on how many miles you do, obviously the more you drive the quicker you get your money back.

If you could do it yourself for the cost of parts (I cant) it would certainly be worth it but at a cost of approx 2,000$.... well you decide. Most generally dont do it for street driving or even moderate wheeling, with 33s or 1 step in gearing. Like others have already said, with a 35 or larger where your engine will be lugging it will drive better, won't hurt the health of your 3.5L and will be much better offroad with the proper gear set up
The sooner you do it the quicker it pays for itself ;)

True but I don't think too many will go from 3.73 to 4.10s it's a small jump for a lot of money. My wrangler would go from 3.07 to 4.10s, there you're getting an additional full rotation of the drive shaft per rotation of the tire increasing gearing by 33% for 4.10 and that's a huge difference for the money. 3.73 to 4.10 is only getting you an extra 1/4 turn of the drive shaft... maybe worth it for an auto if the tranny is that sensitive with shifting but probably worthless for a manny, honestly with a manual tranny you might not feel much of a difference

I've got 35s and went from 19 avg to 15 avg so besides little mods, my next big pruchase will definitely be regearing and maybe even recalibrating my speedometer

Went from 373 to 456 on dad’s truck that regularly tows a Casita across the US (retirement must be nice). Made a huge difference in everything from mileage to speed in a headwind and was the best thing for him. Yes he is on 33s. So...a little can help. His swap was $1200 at a dealer, on special, and yes, I was skeptical, but it works great. I will be doing my truck the same shortly.

The idea behind re gearing is to get the gear ration as close to stock. Ideally because you’ve put 35” or 40” tires on a truck that’s geared for 31” tires. When you add larger tires it is changing the ratio due to the longer rotation. This essentially increases the gear ratio. By putting 33” tires on you are not changing the gear ratio enough to warrant the cost to replace the gears.
Personally if you are ok with the small MPG hit and you don’t notice much of a performance decrease I’d save the money for other mods.
If you’ve got money to burn @whippersnapper02 gave you the next gear. 4:10 would get you closer to stock performance.

Thanks for the info their was a discussion on Facebook group about this, some dude chastised me giving bad info because I said that I just had 33’s put on and was having no problems getting down the road and I had didn’t regear. Because, I figured if it was necessary the shop would have said so since they told I other issues that need fixing before putting on my lift and tires.
The idea behind re gearing is to get the gear ration as close to stock. Ideally because you’ve put 35” or 40” tires on a truck that’s geared for 31” tires. When you add larger tires it is changing the ratio due to the longer rotation. This essentially increases the gear ratio. By putting 33” tires on you are not changing the gear ratio enough to warrant the cost to replace the gears.
Personally if you are ok with the small MPG hit and you don’t notice much of a performance decrease I’d save the money for other mods.
If you’ve got money to burn @whippersnapper02 gave you the next gear. 4:10 would get you closer to stock performance.

Back