Rear Diff again....

Bonfire

So I looked on here for any recent updates on the rear diff whine. I did not see anything.
So anyone have any luck getting it taken care off?
My dealer looked at mine and said it was normal. My 2007 did not do this. This truck was really quite till around the 7k mile mark.
My whine is from around 58 to 65 where you spend most of your time. I can hear it above the radio when listing to the news.
I don't understand how they can say this normal, I did not purchase a 1950 log truck!
Other than the whine I love my truck! I am 59 so this was going to be my last truck, but I don't know now. The whine or howl is starting to really get to me.

So I looked on here for any recent updates on the rear diff whine. I did not see anything.
So anyone have any luck getting it taken care off?
My dealer looked at mine and said it was normal. My 2007 did not do this. This truck was really quite till around the 7k mile mark.
My whine is from around 58 to 65 where you spend most of your time. I can hear it above the radio when listing to the news.
I don't understand how they can say this normal, I did not purchase a 1950 log truck!
Other than the whine I love my truck! I am 59 so this was going to be my last truck, but I don't know now. The whine or howl is starting to really get to me.
Did you contact cooperate and start a case? Get a field tech out there and listen. I know people have got it fixed. Is the bell housing to diff gasket leaking?

I'm in your boat. I'm 63 and for better or worse, this is my last truck. My dealer told me the noise was 'normal' for such low ratio gears. I ran 4.56 and 4.88 gears on the street in my car and had no noise from the rear axle. I have three theories. First, the gears are not set up properly. Second, if that isn't true, then the carrier isn't bored perpendicular to the pinion gear, causing wear from noise once the gears wear a bit. Third, there seems to be a lack of sound deadening material INSIDE the driveshaft. Usually a piece of corrugated cardboard that runs the length of the shaft.

If the gears are set up improperly, USUALLY you will have excessive backlash, ditto for if the pinion and axle shafts are not perpendicular. Though the pinion gear can be set too shallow or too deep and cause noise after a few miles.

I believe the problem is lack of sound deadening material inside the driveshaft, whether by mistake or by design. This makes the driveshaft act like a speaker, magnifying the sound in the differential.

Best of luck to you with your truck.

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess I will call cooperate ……
No there are no leaks at all. The dealer said they pulled the cover and inspected the gears.

Its very strange starts at 58 and goes away at 64. Driving on the freeway at 70+ silent.

Back