Recharging my ac

chris77

Has anyone on here had to recharge their ac? My Ac isn't as cold as it once was. Any help would be appreciated

Check out youtube.... Chrisfix posted some videos dealing with Tacoma AC issues. I had the same problem with my 2009 Tacoma. Saved me a ton of $$$ fixing it myself.

So is the compressor staying on or on/off every few seconds. ( shortcycle).
You can add one can slowly. You want compressor staying on. And if big line is sweating/condensating then i'd leave it alone

No.... the compressor was shot..... same pressure both sides (high &low). I would make a nasty sound when running. New compressor,recharged system and a new fan clutch. AC is ICE COLD!!!! My fan clutch (cooling system/engine fan) would not engage when the engine was warmed up and at idle.

My AC was never that cold since new and would be warm unless I was moving. I finally decided to use one of those devil cans and found that my pressure was low. I filled and before I even got the the recomended "sweet spot" the air started warming up and the compressor started cycling on and off. Now it sounds like the compressor is working hard when it's engaged. Be careful with those devil cans and take it to a pro if you are able.

Yes, you have to be careful with the "devil" cans... I used the one with the UV dye and checked all connections. I could not find a leak. Once I put a set of AC gauges on the system, I was able to see that the compressor was not compressing the R-134. From the information I was able to gather... compressor failure is common if your Compressor was mfg by Delphi.... the Denso units hold-up better. I'd also check your fan clutch... make sure the condenser and radiator are getting cold air during idle and city driving. After I installed the new compressor, I noticed it took longer to cool the truck while driving in the city... once I hit "highway speeds" it got cold. Basically my fan clutch would not engage and "free wheel" all the time. Now, It's cold all the time with the new fan clutch!!

If a Toyota rep is watching this forum... Please keep Mexican parts off my Taco!!! The Luk clutch and delphi compressor were both made "south of the border"

Hahaha, Toyota would laugh at your dumb ass. Their assembly lines are located in CA, Mexico, and Texas. So they make the same parts in any of these three locations. Doesn't matter if it's North, East, west, or "South of the border."

If that's your concern, then maybe you should get an 'Merican' truck that makes its parts "North of the Border"

Laugh all the way to the bank!! The Delphi compressor is junk. All manufactures use Mexican parts to make more profit. This has been going on for a long time. Wire/cable company I worked for lost a Ford contract due to the competition opened a factory in Mexico. These parts were total CRAP!!

I understand your point Csilver3. Your comment is quite offensive.

Last edited:
Autozone rents AC gauges. Check your pressures and add UV dye to the system for leak detection

Check this link:

Last edited:
I have a 2015 V6 with about 9,000 miles. The A/C sucks. No way does it get as cold as my other cars. Toyota dealer put new O rings and checked all connections but it still sucks. I'm going to use a temp probe at the vents and see what it reads. Anyone know what temp it should be? I've heard 40 degrees.

40 degrees sounds about right. Chrisfix had about 43 degrees after he replaced his compressor

It's rather ez and a pain in the ass. Eric the car guy has the best info for youtube.

I would install uv leak detector. Check the hoses. Don't use any sealent. Replace the bad part and refill. I did this with a pump from harbor freight and the gauges from them. Found my leak and it's been 2 years on my wrx ac since I did that. If you ask me it's worth having to tools and doing it yourself. May cost half much as having it done the first time. But will pay for itself the very next time. But you may need more pump oil the second time. Cost like $12 on amazon.

It's rather ez and a pain in the ass. Eric the car guy has the best info for youtube.

I would install uv leak detector. Check the hoses. Don't use any sealent. Replace the bad part and refill. I did this with a pump from harbor freight and the gauges from them. Found my leak and it's been 2 years on my wrx ac since I did that. If you ask me it's worth having to tools and doing it yourself. May cost half much as having it done the first time. But will pay for itself the very next time. But you may need more pump oil the second time. Cost like $12 on amazon.
Cracking the system open in order to replace a part is willingly releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere. Which is a huge gigantic fine. FYI.

Back