Roof rack thread?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Boss_Taco77, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Boss_Taco77

Boss_Taco77 Well-Known Member

Planning to make my own roof rack soon seeing if any of you know the thread size of the factory roof rack holes so I can get me some bolts to get this thing started IMG_9576.jpg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. pondman

pondman Well-Known Member

Check out Topgearautos.com
    That'll give you some concepts for your project ! Let me know if that's what your looking for .... Thanks

OR17TRD and Boss_Taco77 like this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Did you find what the thread size for those bolts was?

5. OP
    Boss_Taco77

I tried that website but it leads me to some auto sale site haha need to take my trim off and just mess with it been raining here down south so kinda iffy about taking it off now. I will give a update once i figure out the thread

6. OR17TRD

M6 with standard 1.0 thread pitch the length will determain what you are trying to attach wether it will be 14mm or 35 mm or how ever long you need.
    That will screw into the factory holes.

mcklovin77 and Boss_Taco77 like this.
  7. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Nice big help right there. Thanks man

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. OP
    Boss_Taco77

So the factory holes in the top of your cab are M6. I used all ten holes and 1” of thread on my Allen head stainless steel bolts I’ll get more pictures of my rack for you guys soon IMG_0692.jpg

Cape taco and OR17TRD like this.
  9. OR17TRD

Nice. Thanks for the update. That looks great.

10. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Here’s some more pics for you guys IMG_0710.jpg IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0713.jpg

Cape taco, OR17TRD and TucsonSteve like this.
  11. Stephen Swindell

Stephen Swindell New Member

Excellent job!! I'm looking to retrofit a rack to my new (to me) 2016 Tacoma. Did you remove and reinstall the weather stripping that fills the gap? What product did you use to hold it down?

Boss_Taco77 likes this.
  12. OP
    Boss_Taco77

I did have to remove it and cut it to fit back in my gaps. The front and back have clips so up front I did not put anything it just sits nice and snug in the seam. In the rear they use double sided tape on the rounded part of the cab. The small pieces I have up top sit snug but freely in the seam. So no I didn’t use anything to stick it to my truck. I’ve been on highway trips and they have stayed in place.