S mode

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by detulio3, Jan 11, 2019.

1. detulio3

detulio3 Active Member

Was wondering lately what the S means and what its purpose is compared to D. I know it is a slap shifter and ive heard they just limit the gear that you could be in but somebody give me a descriptive explanation! Just so curious so i know when to use it and when not to.

Scott Wyman, texasred and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It’s sequential mode. When shifting to “S” mode it automatically goes to 4th and you can adjust from there.
    You can limit the gear you go into. I.E.- if in 3rd you won’t shift above 3rd gear but you will shift between 1-3rd.
    It’s useful for off road, bad roads, a little extra power out of a gear for faster acceleration, etc.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  4. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Remember old school automatics where u could drop a "gear" by moving the selector on the column or center console?
    Sames

Just makes ur selective "throw" shorter :rolleyes:.

Round wheel meet, round wheel with plastiderp... Basically.

B-Man, Bogunn and texasred like this.
  5. Bojangles

Oh, and the infamous "ECT" button is a throwback to at least the 80's.
    Just holds "gears" slightly longer. Same effect can be had by WOT.. At least that's how vehicles back then were programmed. It's just like the AC compressor disengaging when at WOT, the shift points are automatically changed.

The funny part is...... "S" and "ECT" have been shown to not effect acceleration anymore than just burying the pedal in the regular "automatic" mode.

See what I mean? WOT/high load input is already being processed thru the ECU and tcu and maximizing shift points and cutting ac parasitic drag.

Crawdad, Scott Wyman, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  6. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

I drive in s mode all the time and I don't like 6 th gear because I hate the way it jumps from 5 to 6 in drive even on highway I don't use 6th the constant downshift drives me crazier !

Scott Wyman, B-Man and Bojangles like this.
  7. Cape taco

And I noticed my gas mileage drops from 19.6 to 19.3 when I run in 5th on the highway so to me its a no brainer plus it 's fun to shift it on the floor. since my 03 tundra was a column shifter

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    B-Man and Scott Wyman like this.
  8. Bojangles

0.3 mpg?
    I wonder how much air density alone effects mpg.
    .3 just sounds trivial to me, but I'm not big on the hypermile game.

B-Man and Cape taco like this.
  9. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I think it's the wording in you eff previous post that effectively tc s your mileage. Its not that the shifting makes you crazy, Its the shifting that makes you drive crazy :D. S mode has the same effect on me and I see my gas mileage suffer because of it. :(

B-Man, Bojangles and Cape taco like this.
  10. Cape taco

I just love my truck when I get behind the wheel I just smile :D

11. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Amen!

texasred, B-Man, Lil G and 1 other person like this.
  12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Right-On!:D

Scott Wyman and texasred like this.
  13. Bojangles

"S"mile mode

Cape taco, texasred, Crawdad and 3 others like this.