Shocking........OMG

Rock62

Well, I just collected my truck from the local Toyota dealer. The repair was not made due to parts on backorder until 8/24.

So, I'm going aftermarket parts. Should all be delivered Tuesday, 8/15.

Anyhow, the dealer gave me a list of "needed" repairs. As a shocking example. $696 to replace the sway bar links. OMG!!! 8 bolts per side (6 on the wheel), roughly 20-30 minutes for a DIYer working on the floor. How much $$$ are these SOBs earning per hour? Good night, Irene.

The quote to replace the front axles was right at $2000. I have ordered 2 axles from NAPA for just under $250. Next weekend, I'll be installing front axles, rotors, pads and sway bar links. Cost all in just under $500.

The NAPA axles have hardened rolled threads, hardened rolled splines, neoprene boots with a lifetime warranty then free shipping as a final kicker. Saved enough that I was able to step up to the next level on the parts. Brembo rotors and ceramic pads. ACDelco sway bar links. So, once this is complete, these parts should go for another 130,000 miles.

I think the dealer mechanic just looked at the mileage then made an extensive repair list without verifying if the work was needed. Very poor professional. Anyhow, that dealership is absolutely last option on the list.

Last edited:
wot'n tarnation on the backorder crap

are these parts NOT in the KCMO warehouse
Chicago?

i imagine the oem parts price at full MSRP for the links is over 100$ each + bushings not included
that's the way it is on my rig

here...

MSRP on those oem links IS 154$
before discount from this parts dealer

1691856758324.png

was the time itemized breakdown on the monkey parts changers for the links one hour each for two hours total

No breakdown.

Oh you wouldn't believe the "needed" repair list and the associated costs.

Axle shaft $920/side
Sway bar links $696
Disc pads and resurface rotors $250
Spark plugs $160
Tranny Service $200
Coolant Drain & fill $120
Power steering Fluid $125
4 Wheel Drive Service $273
Fuel Induction Service $162

The interesting and disappointing thing is all this work was done, except for the first 3, less than 30,000 miles ago. This just tells me the "mechanic" only looked at the odometer to determine what work was "needed". All totaled near $4400.

Dont get me wrong. I understand dealer work is expensive. But gees louise........ In China, the same amount of cash will buy 44 massages complete with happy ending. In Thailand, you can hire a girlfriend for 40 days for the same cost.

I mean geesh, at those prices you'd think a kiss was coming after such a screwing.

Parts arrive on Tuesday, work begins next Saturday at sunup. Purchased all the ancillary stuff today. Next Friday after work will be grocery run and laundry to clear the weekend of tasks. Today and Tmrw will finish grooming my mini-schnauzer. Spoke to my landlord. He has given me leave to do the work. I just need to leave the garage in current, clean condition. No oil stains or permanent stains.

Last edited:
that 'no breakdown' these slop shops do now is major bovine excrement

Well, I just collected my truck from the local Toyota dealer. The repair was not made due to parts on backorder until 8/24.

So, I'm going aftermarket parts. Should all be delivered Tuesday, 8/15.

Anyhow, the dealer gave me a list of "needed" repairs. As a shocking example. $696 to replace the sway bar links. OMG!!! 8 bolts per side (6 on the wheel), roughly 20-30 minutes for a DIYer working on the floor. How much $$$ are these SOBs earning per hour? Good night, Irene.

The quote to replace the front axles was right at $2000. I have ordered 2 axles from NAPA for just under $250. Next weekend, I'll be installing front axles, rotors, pads and sway bar links. Cost all in just under $500.

The NAPA axles have hardened rolled threads, hardened rolled splines, neoprene boots with a lifetime warranty then free shipping as a final kicker. Saved enough that I was able to step up to the next level on the parts. Brembo rotors and ceramic pads. ACDelco sway bar links. So, once this is complete, these parts should go for another 130,000 miles.

I think the dealer mechanic just looked at the mileage then made an extensive repair list without verifying if the work was needed. Very poor professional. Anyhow, that dealership is absolutely last option on the list.
From experience with toyota drive train components, you really don't want to use aftermarket pieces. The grade on those Toyota parts is on a whole better level.
As far as these dealer labor rates...they're insane. $160 to perform an oil change on my truck I can have it done at a friend's shop, if needed using the same oil, and filter for a little over 1/2 that. Cost me $90 to replaced those same type swaybar links on my tundra about 20 years ago.

are you finding some walMart back lot to do this since you said its against resisdential policy to do taco work

Those sway bar links were $45 apiece about 20 years ago, speak about inflation.
On another note, they sell aftermarket kits...not anywhere as nice as the toyota link's, but you can make your own for far less money.

From experience with toyota drive train components, you really don't want to use aftermarket pieces. The grade on those Toyota parts is on a whole better level.
As far as these dealer labor rates...they're insane. $160 to perform an oil change on my truck I can have it done at a friend's shop, if needed using the same oil, and filter for a little over 1/2 that. Cost me $90 to replaced those same type swaybar links on my tundra about 20 years ago.
I'd prefer Toyota parts. But they are not available for nearly 2 more weeks. I have time and budget pressures at play that have been considered.

Considering the aftermarket axles are $135 vs the Toyota axles at $920.......I figure I can replace the aftermarkets a couple times.

Regarding, Jay's question in post #9. As stated in my post......specifically #5...."Spoke to my landlord. He has given me leave to do the work."

I'd prefer Toyota parts. But they are not available for nearly 2 more weeks. I have time and budget pressures at play that have been considered.

Considering the aftermarket axles are $135 vs the Toyota axles at $920.......I figure I can replace the aftermarkets a couple times.

Regarding, Jay's question in post #9. As stated in my post......specifically #5...."Spoke to my landlord. He has given me leave to do the work."
Thats fine as long as you know what you're getting into. Most think their getting the same thing for far less until they have the same issue a couple years later.

Yeah......and the referenced guru isn't doing the work on his nickel nor is he time challenged.

Sorry, my income doesn't grow on trees and 2+ week lead-time is too long. Especially, when rolling in a rental car at $100+/day.

My cost is around $275 for both axles vs nearly $2000. Hmmm......tough decision.
Oh wait. Yes, the lead-time is also factor.
My parts are due Tuesday, 8/15, the Toyota parts are due 8/24. Hmmm.....another tough decision.

I realize these are not Toyota parts. I do believe what I've ordered are quality parts.

FWIW, I have done a part comparison. NAPA axle uses hardened shafts then rolls the splines and threads. Can't say about the metallurgy. Nothing is referenced about the materials used. The axle has lifetime warranty. Toyota.....not so much. Of course, making a claim could be a whole ordeal, but lifetime warranties are not made with little care.

Brembo brakes and pads are known for quality aftermarket products.

ACDelco sway bar links.....another good supplier of aftermarket parts.

No, I did not buy these parts from some slipshod huckster on fleabay.

Back