Tacoma in sand dunes

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by rosemeadblvd, Aug 1, 2017.

1. rosemeadblvd

rosemeadblvd Well-Known Member

I took my 2017 taco trd offroad all stock to Algodones Dunes today. I had some concerns regarding my truck.
    1. When running on sand up hill, It will not reach above 3000 rpm when on 4Hi.(gas peddle stepped all the way down)
    2. It will not reach over 4000 rpm when on 4L. (gas peddle stepped all the way down)
    This cause my stuck stop in the middle of the dunes. Anyone have any ideas? Attached some pics. IMG_3628.JPG IMG_6224.JPG IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_6218.JPG 3D925E3F-25D9-479C-92D4-D3A72ACC487A.JPG IMG_6220.JPG

JonRod likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I'd say traction aids but they should be off in low.

rosemeadblvd likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Did you try CRAWL? Just wondering how it worked if you did.
    108* :confused: wouldn't want to be stuck out there for to long.
    Nice of the Jeep to pull you out :D

5. OP
    rosemeadblvd

I did try CRAWL for approximately 10 minutes. No luck. I dug deeper. I have tried crawl 3 time ever since I got my taco but none worked. Maybe I was too much into mud or sand, and it was considered too late to use. I have some video when I used crawl in mud or sand but unable upload it here

6. OP
    rosemeadblvd

When going uphill, the acceleration just dropped and my foot still stepped on the peddle. Until the truck completely stopped, the the acceleration started again causing the wheel spin. When I heard the acceleration going down, I tried to let off he peddle and stepped again. Not working this way

7. whippersnapper02

Before doing anything, I turn everything off. Stop then push and hold the VSC button. I'm an offroad so I can also lock the rear end to turn it all off but I modded it to work in 2wd and 4wd hi.

4wd likes this.
  8. OP
    rosemeadblvd

I'll do that next time. Thanks

9. OR17TRD

I've heard a few people say they have got stuck because the truck seems to loose power or just stop working when ascending hills in sand and mud.

10. whippersnapper02

Those CC videos were set up so the truck could easily get out. I'd take them with a grain of salt.

11. Nachor

Nachor New Member

Did you find a fix for this loss of accleration? An experiencing the same problem

Giddyupgo likes this.
  12. whippersnapper02

Have you tried turning off TRAC?

13. Nachor

Nachor New Member

I have tried trac control hold for 3 seconds trac off 4x4 hi and ect pwr on and still feel the loss of acceleration. Would putting it on s mode help?

Grovertaco likes this.
  14. whippersnapper02

It will help keeping the trans from up shifting causing you to lose low end power.

15. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Gotta love the grey wire MOD Whip...

16. whippersnapper02

Also gotta love a truck that actually let’s you offroad.

4wd likes this.
  17. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

To the OP, next time try airing down (even on stock rugged fails if so equiped) By airing down you'll find a whole new level of traction, almost dbls. the foot print... Makes getting stuck a thing of the past most times...

18. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Adding 75hp would help, you guys gotta remember it's a v6, nothing drains power like getting thru sand it'll take all you can deliver so not to have tire smoking acceleration in this environment is pretty normal...

19. OR17TRD

Is your truck lifter with larger tires? How much and what size of so?

tomarx2taco likes this.
  20. OR17TRD

I fixed mine by having the dealer reset my YAW sensor and CPM for the lift and tires. Truck seems to be a lot happier now. It knows where it’s at and what it’s working with.

21. OR17TRD

Something for the OP to consider. Mud terrain tires for the mud and sand might help prevent getting stuck. The stock tires aren’t ideal for those terrains. Just a thought and observation.

tomarx2taco likes this.