Tacoma leaf spring recall

Hey guys. I was reading an article that Toyota issued a recall for tacoma ' s 2005-present about some leaf spring issues. Do any of you have any detail or experience on what they are doing for owners with this defect??

Just to clarify...this is NOT from 2005-present. It only involves 2005-2011.

What if I am second owner of truck. How would I get put on mailing list?

Sent from my iPhone,
Tacoma06

What if I am second owner of truck. How would I get put on mailing list?

Sent from my iPhone,
Tacoma06
I'm the second owner of my truck ( I get recalls notices from Toyota). Did you purchase your truck from a Toyota dealer? Check in your owners manual... contact Toyota anf let them know your the current owner of your Tacoma.

a little update-- when I went to pick up my Tacoma yesterday, the dealer wanted me to drive a loaner and leave the truck. he said the replacement spring would be there Monday and they would install it next week. this spring is the same as what is on the truck.
he also said he was talking to someone at Toyoda corporate and they indicated it was looking like the new replacement spring set would be a 4 spring pack, but could still be several months away.
Tacoma06 here is a link to go and register your truck with Toyota.
go to the Toyota web site and go to "owners" tab, and register, you will have to figure this url out as I am not able to leave a link as I am a new user.
I am the second owner of my Tacoma and the dealer continues to be helpful about mine.
they gave me a work order sheet showing their visual checking of the broken spring and showing the recall of the spring, but also showing the seat belt recall also.
I will continue to update my experience.
thanks all
pt in tennessee

Nice...

Might be the fact that your dealer is also owned by a race car driver (Rusty Wallace) ?? Indy car driver Bobby Rahal owned a Honda dealership near Harrisburg, PA (...and he might own a Toyota and Lexus dealership too). When I owned a 1989 Honda CRX... they always took care of any warranty repairs ASAP. Sounds like this business (Rusty Wallace Toyota) does great work.

Pturner... Thanks for the info!! I'll check it out.

Ok, more update. The Toyoda Dealership replaced my broken spring today at totally no charge to me!
They replaced it with a four (4) leaf spring. I really did not crawl under and look but will do this tomorrow/
The advisor said it looks like this 4 leaf may be the fix, as they ordered the original spring and part number, but this new 4 leaf came in.
I will also get the part number for this spring. he did also say if there was some other spring modification that I would be still be eligible for whatever the recall calls for.
I will keep you up to date as anything else happens.
So far a good feeling that Toyota is stepping up and being responsible. I felt this would be the case as I was a Engineer at a Toyota facility for 14 years. The Japanese take making cars very seriously,
pt in tennessee

If you go on to Toyota owners site or app. As long as you have Tacoma Vin# you will be sent updates through the Toyota site. I was informed they are researching a proper replacement part. Here in CO the dealership would swap out leafs if broken before new replacements are approved.

Sent from my iPhone,
Tacoma06

Hello . I have lift my taco 3 inches and lately it's been shaking little . @ steering wheel kind of often ! Any advise thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1428050538.595966.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1428050538.595966.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 41
phillipvnvn..

That could be your steering intermediate shaft (connects your rack to the steering wheel)?

just replaced the rear leaf springs on my '05 Tacoma Sport. I never received a recall notice, but was informed by the dealership that was servicing my truck. I called Toyota Corporate and started a claim. I paid out of pocket, but was assured that with proof of payment and a copy of the work order, I will be totally reimbursed. The people I spoke to (as of 5/28/15) couldn't give me a time frame regarding the recall remedy. Hope this helps in some way.

Well... I had some free time today and dropped by my local Toyota dealer. Over the weekend, I took my Leer cap off to clean the rear window and noticed the back of my truck was low. One leaf spring seemed to sag slightly. The dealer will be looking at the truck this week. My 2009 Tacoma is included in the spring recall.

Now my dealer seems to know that a recall is required??? :(((

Ok, more update. The Toyoda Dealership replaced my broken spring today at totally no charge to me!
They replaced it with a four (4) leaf spring. I really did not crawl under and look but will do this tomorrow/
The advisor said it looks like this 4 leaf may be the fix, as they ordered the original spring and part number, but this new 4 leaf came in.
I will also get the part number for this spring. he did also say if there was some other spring modification that I would be still be eligible for whatever the recall calls for.
I will keep you up to date as anything else happens.
So far a good feeling that Toyota is stepping up and being responsible. I felt this would be the case as I was a Engineer at a Toyota facility for 14 years. The Japanese take making cars very seriously,
pt in tennessee

Is this "4 leaf" spring a TRD part??? What is the part number??

If you go on to Toyota owners site or app. As long as you have Tacoma Vin# you will be sent updates through the Toyota site. I was informed they are researching a proper replacement part. Here in CO the dealership would swap out leafs if broken before new replacements are approved.

Sent from my iPhone,
Tacoma06

What dealer in CO. I had mine in for a few other recalls and they said the leafs weren't an issue on my 2005. I have add a leafs but that didn't factor in......

Go to safecar.gov and file report, I did.
Tacoma leaf springs broken and not supporting vehicle. damaged and replaced shocks and alignment. vehicle is unsafe due to recall and possible puncture of fuel tank due to defective leaf springs and can also sever the brake lines. Toyota is aware of voluntary recall but has refused to replace leaf springs even after admitting that the vehicle is not supported as required by leaf springs and that the shocks were overused to the point of failure and were replaced due to the lack of support. new shocks and everything except leaf springs installed yet Tacoma still bottoms out due to lack of proper leaf springs even with new equipment installed. Toyota Customer assistance center notified and refused first request and second filed on 8/4/2015 with case number 1508031434 assigned. Level two agent Peter again refused to replace know defective parts or honor recall after being informed that parts were available at both Riverview Toyota. and Earnhardt Toyota, both in Mesa Arizona. Both dealerships informed me that they are directed by the corporate customer assistance center to not replace any recall items without first getting approval regardless of the known dangers to both person and property, or that the part is broken and does not perform to actions of it's design. Toyota has been made aware of the damages, safety concerns, as well as lost time and costs ($993.41in service repairs plus 5 lost use/work days to date), yet has refused to honor or abide by the requirements to replace the defective equipment.

I'm wondering if these weak leaf springs contribute to tire wear??? I'm only getting 30,000 miles from my General Grabber HTS. These are rated to 60k??

Back