Tacoma Noise Identification

NC '03 Tacoma

I recently purchased my first Tacoma, a 2003 XTra Cab V6, 5 speed w/ TRD package. 155,000 miles on it. I've waited a long time to get my hands on one of these.

At 25-60 mph (3rd through 5th gear) it has a loud humming/whining noise from the rear of the truck. It's worst in 5th gear or when I punch it or give no gas at all. Not terrible in neutral but still there.

I was going to start at the rear differential. Any advice for a Tacoma newb? Thanks.

Start at the U joints. It could be a million things, but the only one you could check easily would be U joints. Trans, differential, transfer case, all of these things could be it, but there wouldn't be any way to diagnose a humming noise on them until it became a full-blown racket unless you are going to hang underneath it while driving with a stethoscope.

I think there is a TSB on that noise. Pointing to the pinion bearing. I has the same problem and the dealer ended up replacing my rear end.

Id start with the u joints greasing or replacing if necessary then check your carrier bearing and the rear wheel bearings if none of that look at rear diff, also is it lifted may need diff drop

I appreciate all the replies, glad I joined this forum.

I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a local shop that specializes in 4X4 and drivetrains. Said it was an axle bearing, $240.

I appreciate all the replies, glad I joined this forum.

I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a local shop that specializes in 4X4 and drivetrains. Said it was an axle bearing, $240.
Thats what i meant by wheel bearing do you have wheel spacers

Hey another noise problem, for some reason whenever I step on gas or brake the suspension seems to creak in the back, any idea what to do?

Back