Tacoma sound deadening done with duct work insulation

JoeTaco

I wanted to share an inexpensive way to make your truck a lot quieter. I used duct work insulation (available at Lowe's/Home Depot) to insulate my entire cab; roof, 4 doors, floor, and rear panel. The before and after sound level is very noticeable. At 60 mph there is a 10 decibel difference. The work took about 4-5 hours and cost about $100 total. Reinstalling the headliner was the only tricky part. I didn't have help when I did it. A helper will make things a lot easier I'm sure.

Sound deadening 2.png Sound deadening 1.png Sound deadening 3.png

That's great. Noise has a tremendous effect on the overall feeling of comfort. I went from R-model Macks years ago to a new Freightliner after being out of trucking for years. The new truck was so much quieter I thought I was in Heaven. We just got new trucks, Cascadia's, and they make the Columbia's we traded in sound like the old Macks I used to drive. These things are really quiet, and that makes a huge difference in comfort.

10Db is a big number. You did a real good job and it must seem like the truck is off when you are going down the road.

That's great. Noise has a tremendous effect on the overall feeling of comfort. I went from R-model Macks years ago to a new Freightliner after being out of trucking for years. The new truck was so much quieter I thought I was in Heaven. We just got new trucks, Cascadia's, and they make the Columbia's we traded in sound like the old Macks I used to drive. These things are really quiet, and that makes a huge difference in comfort.

10Db is a big number. You did a real good job and it must seem like the truck is off when you are going down the road.
One of the things I like the most is the solid "THUNCK" when the doors shut. There's still a little bit of engine noise at speed but at idle it's almost silent. I highly recommend doing it.

Not to jump of topic with this but I agree. We have several LPG's (Mack's) in the fleet and those things are so quiet. They are also bringing in KW's that run on NG. Not much on power but are real quiet. I'll keep my 04' international. Lol

Back