Tacoma tick (not engine)

whitetacoma

Been having Tacoma tick for about a year. Took it in several times (4 times) and finally contacted Toyota USA got in at dealership to figure it out and got 2016 Tacoma rental. My guess it's manifold exhaust leak. At cold starts it ticks after the engine cycles and warms up and goes away after a minutes when driving. Sucks that I had to call the corporate office to finally get it in. It also help that I sent in video clips of the issue. Just writing this and will up date just in case any one else is having this issue.

2014 Tacoma SR 4 cylinder model perrunner

Last edited:
The tacoma tick is emissions related.

You may have an exhaust leak like u said... since it goes away when warm. The stock manifolds are dual walled, so normally quiet. Notice any scorch marks near the block or where the manifolds connect to the y pipe?

The tacoma tick is emissions related.

You may have an exhaust leak like u said... since it goes away when warm. The stock manifolds are dual walled, so normally quiet. Notice any scorch marks near the block or where the manifolds connect to the y pipe?

UPDATE

Got a call from Toyota service today and they found the problem transmission.

well thats not optimal.................

what is wrong with

Service rep really didn't say but that they are going to replace it. I wish they just give me a new truck hahaha. The following parts have been replaced in the past year.

Throttle body
Front wheel bearings
Front wheel breaks (twice)
Front wheel rotors
Catalytic converter
Both Leaf springs

Is it possible that the transmission screwed up other components like engine.

well thats not optimal.................

what is wrong with it?

Service rep really didn't say but that they are going to replace it. I wish they just give me a new truck hahaha. The following parts have been replaced in the past year.

Throttle body
Front wheel bearings
Front wheel breaks (twice)
Front wheel rotors
Catalytic converter
Both Leaf springs

Is it possible that the transmission screwed up other components like engine.

Not sure.

Leaf springs are crap since 2005, thats no biggie.

If ur calipers were dragging (guessing), that may have caused the bearings to cook? So, that could be 1 issue, not 2 seperate ones if they did their homework.

As for u saying rotors..... well, rotors are wear items too.... wasnit from the calipers dragging, hard use, or defect in the rotors?

UPDATE:

Just got called by Toyota and they are replacing my transmission and catalytic converter. Really thinking about trading it in as it's been at the shop every other month since I've owned it last September. It had 30,000 when purchased and now has 41,000.

UPDATE:

Just got called by Toyota and they are replacing my transmission and catalytic converter. Really thinking about trading it in as it's been at the shop every other month since I've owned it last September. It had 30,000 when purchased and now has 41,000.
Im at a loss for words. I hope they comped a superbduper extended warranty, rental car, a gas card, dinner, and a handie

Update:

Still haven't heard from Toyota. Hopefully I'll get my taco back tomorrow unless issue is still there after new transmission and catalytic converter.

Back