The 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma is here!!!

Max load going full throttle while the RPMs are to the moon up a long, steep incline is a useful situation? No that just means you bought too small of a truck.

A useful real world situation would be passing someone on the highway or accelerating from a stop with or without a load.

Right, because no Tacoma owner will ever tow or haul anything going through mountains, but they will be flooring the gas between stoplights every chance they get.

Whether at max load, half capacity, or empty, it was clearly demonstrated that the 3rd gen has more power in the higher RPM range, all while getting better MPG. Yes, sometimes hauling means running up the RPM. The 2016 and the 2015 were driven under the same conditions, and the 2016 came out on top. Your claim that this only proves that mid-size trucks aren't made for hauling is not only laughable, but also irrelevant.

And when it comes to passing, are you not in a higher RPM range while traveling 65 mph down the highway? Obviously you are, so obviously the 3rd gen has better passing power.

Right, because no Tacoma owner will ever tow or haul anything going through mountains, but they will be flooring the gas between stoplights every chance they get.

Whether at max load, half capacity, or empty, it was clearly demonstrated that the 3rd gen has more power in the higher RPM range, all while getting better MPG. Yes, sometimes hauling means running up the RPM. The 2016 and the 2015 were driven under the same conditions, and the 2016 came out on top. Your claim that this only proves that mid-size trucks aren't made for hauling is not only laughable, but also irrelevant.

And when it comes to passing, are you not in a higher RPM range while traveling 65 mph down the highway? Obviously you are, so obviously the 3rd gen has better passing power.

A Tacoma (or any truck really) at max capacity on steep roads is poor decision by the owner. You should give yourself some wiggle room so you aren't stressing the truck so much because doing that often will kill any truck. The lower torque curve will help the truck move the load from a stop. There is a difference between max power and usable power that you are not understanding.

Testing has not been done for passing power so we cannot say which one is quicker to catch up on speed. I do know that from a dead stop the 3rd gen is way behind and it will never catch up because both will hit the governor and the 2nd gen will still have the lead. Take away the governor and who knows how long it will take the 3rd gen to finally catch up.

Looks like the new Ridgleline burns both trucks anyway. Lol!

A Tacoma (or any truck really) at max capacity on steep roads is poor decision by the owner. You should give yourself some wiggle room so you aren't stressing the truck so much because doing that often will kill any truck. The lower torque curve will help the truck move the load from a stop. There is a difference between max power and usable power that you are not understanding.

Testing has not been done for passing power so we cannot say which one is quicker to catch up on speed. I do know that from a dead stop the 3rd gen is way behind and it will never catch up because both will hit the governor and the 2nd gen will still have the lead. Take away the governor and who knows how long it will take the 3rd gen to finally catch up.

Looks like the new Ridgleline burns both trucks anyway. Lol!

It is you who isn't understanding. Usable power (necessary power is some cases) falls far below redlining the RPM. It is well established that the newer Tacomas have more power in the higher RPM range. TFL Truck simply demonstrated this in an extreme manner. Beyond that, because both Tacoma models basically weigh the same, more power at higher RPM means more passing power. Using ECT or manual mode will hold out the RPM even longer, and give better throttle response for passing(trust me, I know this for a fact).

I don't deny that the 2nd gen is faster in a short race, but I would still like to see ECT being utilized against a 2nd gen. I know how my truck responds between the two transmission modes, and I'm certain that the results would be far less substantial.

Yes, the Ridgeline owners can gloat about their power as they scrape their front bumper on curbs. But hey, the bed is also a giant speaker. I've heard that music makes flowers grow, ha.

It is you who isn't understanding. Usable power (necessary power is some cases) falls far below redlining the RPM. It is well established that the newer Tacomas have more power in the higher RPM range. TFL Truck simply demonstrated this in an extreme manner. Beyond that, because both Tacoma models basically weigh the same, more power at higher RPM means more passing power. Using ECT or manual mode will hold out the RPM even longer, and give better throttle response for passing(trust me, I know this for a fact).

I don't deny that the 2nd gen is faster in a short race, but I would still like to see ECT being utilized against a 2nd gen. I know how my truck responds between the two transmission modes, and I'm certain that the results would be far less substantial.

Yes, the Ridgeline owners can gloat about their power as they scrape their front bumper on curbs. But hey, the bed is also a giant speaker. I've heard that music makes flowers grow, ha.

No, anything below redline is not usable power which is why the 2nd gen is ahead by a large margin in the acceleration tests. Playing catch up means you don't have a usable power band. ECT was confirmed being used in the test by TFL because that the first thing 3rd gen owners cried about. It mostly affects shift points but floored is floored at the end of the day. Better throttle response doesn't help off the line when you have no power down low. Passing acceleration is a different story but still depends on the power band. If it's peaky then you have to play catch up again.

Here's a tidbit of info...2nd gens have ECT but it didn't rely on a silly button for it to work. It was done automatically when the ECU sensed the load, road conditions and driver input.

Personally I'd rather have a new RL over the 3rd gen. I think it's a better looking truck and payload is probably higher than the Tacoma like it was with the first gen. 98% of Tacoma owners don't even use their truck as a truck and are better suited in a Ridgeline but they are worried about silly details they know nothing about like IRS vs a solid axle, unibody construction and towing capacities. None of that matters at the mall or Starbucks.

Ridgelines are bad ass, always liked em, wish tacos had a beer cooler in the bed also, and the spare tire spot is genius too. All trucks should follow suit for convenience alone. The new ones are bad ass (i move steel for living), thought about purchasing one for my first truck but i wanted a vehicle i could easily make improvements on myself and i wanted a good off roader to get dirty on my days off. Also living in mew england, snow is a motherfucker. Thats the big downside to the ridge, they are not an off roader at all. But man they are a nice ride and look great

No, anything below redline is not usable power which is why the 2nd gen is ahead by a large margin in the acceleration tests. Playing catch up means you don't have a usable power band. ECT was confirmed being used in the test by TFL because that the first thing 3rd gen owners cried about. It mostly affects shift points but floored is floored at the end of the day. Better throttle response doesn't help off the line when you have no power down low. Passing acceleration is a different story but still depends on the power band. If it's peaky then you have to play catch up again.

Here's a tidbit of info...2nd gens have ECT but it didn't rely on a silly button for it to work. It was done automatically when the ECU sensed the load, road conditions and driver input.

Personally I'd rather have a new RL over the 3rd gen. I think it's a better looking truck and payload is probably higher than the Tacoma like it was with the first gen. 98% of Tacoma owners don't even use their truck as a truck and are better suited in a Ridgeline but they are worried about silly details they know nothing about like IRS vs a solid axle, unibody construction and towing capacities. None of that matters at the mall or Starbucks.

First you say high RPM isn't usable, now you say anything under redline isn't usable. I'm not sure where you're coming from.

The Ridgeline looks like a car with a bed, and couldn't be any more vanilla. I yawn just looking at it.

Whipper and the awd kills me. Its like this gmc denail beautiful white truck we had on the lot for months. Such a kick ass truck but for the price people would get in, absolutely fall in love until the dreaded question....so where is the 4 wheel drive switch? Id be moving em into a sierra or silverado quicker than **** at that point!! Haha

I flippin loved that denali too but man that is just a stupid feature. Its like getting a 4 cyl new taco when they are barely cheaper and you only get a mile a gallon better in mpg's!!! Who the hell would get the 4?!? Been waitin for someone to pop up here

First you say high RPM isn't usable, now you say anything under redline isn't usable. I'm not sure where you're coming from.

The Ridgeline looks like a car with a bed, and couldn't be any more vanilla. I yawn just looking at it.

That's just you being too literal with my words. I'll adjust my wording...

Just because it's under redline doesn't mean it's useful. An engine that makes max power 500rpm just before redline is making useless power. Cool power but then a gear change puts you under that max power level until the revs build up to that point. Again, this is assuming real world driving and in our case, towing a load.

I look at the new Taco and the front grill makes me cringe. I can't stand the massive grills Toyota is using across the board. The loss of engine displacement is also a downer. My next truck will be a real truck though. F150 5.0 Lariat FX4 4wd.

That's just you being too literal with my words. I'll adjust my wording...

Just because it's under redline doesn't mean it's useful. An engine that makes max power 500rpm just before redline is making useless power. Cool power but then a gear change puts you under that max power level until the revs build up to that point. Again, this is assuming real world driving and in our case, towing a load.

I look at the new Taco and the front grill makes me cringe. I can't stand the massive grills Toyota is using across the board. The loss of engine displacement is also a downer. My next truck will be a real truck though. F150 5.0 Lariat FX4 4wd.

Yeah yeah, more nonsense. Again, nobody said you have to drive the pistons out of these trucks to find their power. Higher RPM doesn't HAVE to mean 5,000 and up. They proved that the late models are better at hauling, THE END. Stop making excuses.

Have fun in your Ford. When everything breaks on it you'll wish you had never bought it.

Yeah yeah, more nonsense. Again, nobody said you have to drive the pistons out of these trucks to find their power. Higher RPM doesn't HAVE to mean 5,000 and up. They proved that the late models are better at hauling, THE END. Stop making excuses.

Have fun in your Ford. When everything breaks on it you'll wish you had never bought it.

But yet all the complaints from owners on TW, owners looking for more power and the acceleration videos from TFL say otherwise but ok...also gotta love all the trade ins for something else due to the terrible drivetrain...but sure...whatever you say. Keep that ECT button pushed to keep up with those mini vans.

Had a Ford before and didn't have issues. Sold it get something that I thought was going to be better but it turned out to be overrated.

But yet all the complaints from owners on TW, owners looking for more power and the acceleration videos from TFL say otherwise but ok...also gotta love all the trade ins for something else due to the terrible drivetrain...but sure...whatever you say. Keep that ECT button pushed to keep up with those mini vans.

Had a Ford before and didn't have issues. Sold it get something that I thought was going to be better but it turned out to be overrated.

Yes, the default transmission up shifts too quickly, and that annoys some people. The people trading their trucks in are in the minority, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

I rarely use ECT because I know how to actually step on the gas pedal. I came from a 5.3 V8 Silverado, and I find my truck to have plenty of acceleration. You have to realize that there is more to a vehicle than hauling ass from stop light to stop light.

Yes, the default transmission up shifts too quickly, and that annoys some people. The people trading their trucks in are in the minority, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

I rarely use ECT because I know how to actually step on the gas pedal. I came from a 5.3 V8 Silverado, and I find my truck to have plenty of acceleration. You have to realize that there is more to a vehicle than hauling ass from stop light to stop light.

I respectfully pass...on here and on the street. Bahahahaha!

Back