the pilot bearing...

So another 97 with the MT and near-like interior?
And less miles not knowing how hard those miles have or have not been

You do know there's no need to gravitate toward old trucks. There is newer stuff out there, and it doesn't need to be a truck, or even a toyota. All your interested in is chasing asphalt miles.

How many times gotta tell you I don't do pics. I don't even own a camera. I haven't been by that home in a few days, don't even know if it's been sold by now.

I checked something today on my 4wd Gem2 Tacoma. I'm 5'9" tall and pretty much average build. I can stand flat footed on a concrete floor reach over the bed sidewall and easily touch the floor of the bed.

Now, my full size 05' GMC 2500HD, 2wd.....I could not touch the bed floor reaching over the bed sidewall. But that was a FULL size pickup.

I figure JayQQ97 must be about 5'0" or less with possibly freakishly short arms.

I'm 5'9'' also, and have no issue reaching the bed from the sides of my gen3. I guess if someone cut my hands off, I'd have a problem.

i really do wonder if this 'new' pilot bearing installed a few months ago is already failing
there is this noise whilst rig is running in neutral with the clutch engaged (foot off the 3rd pedal) and parking brake on

the noise goes AWAY when the clutch pedal is pressed down

is this the pilot bearing chattering?
input shaft?
input shaft bearing?

i am not that well-educated about these things... still on the steepest of learning curves

does somebody on TF possess better knowledge that can once again explain to YT what is exactly going on here

thankYou :)

Sorry, I could only add to the joker comment.

But I can not disagree with the joker.

Frankly, I think most of your trouble with the Gen 1 is self-induced or imagined.

I haven't decided if you're actually this naive, looking for sympathy or just lonely hunting for attention.

The noise is a reality
Perhaps it will get even louder, IDK?
Definitely It is noticeably louder than what was going on before under there, I never heard this racket at idle, it was super quiet

I like things kosher and operational as they ought so that this repair will be very long-lasting considering the cost of it and that it will not need another new parts swap anywhere in the near future like next year already

I also am finding the rig EXCEPTIONALLY loud whining on the freeway at speeds between 75 and 95
That I honestly do not think it was nearly this loud before in the past, it was very quiet

If I think it's abnormally loud it is abnormally loud so please don't prick on me thank you

Have you considered rolling up the windows and turning radio volume up a bit???

A bit of reality. You have an old truck with many, many, many miles with delayed maintenance. As with all mechanical things, they age, they get rattles, vibrations, worn out parts, loose fasteners, hard bushings,..........................

While I was in high school, one of our click had an old beat up truck. He put a set of Baby Moon caps on it. Well, after listening to his constant brag droning on for weeks......we decided to make an adjustment to his bragging. A few marbles, hex nuts and some gravel in the Baby Moons had him hunting for the slow speed rattle for a couple weeks. He discovered the prank when he was changing a flat tire.

My point, some rattles are nothing but the vehicle showing age and mileage. Some rattles can be harmless pranks.

Last edited:
Windows are already cracked to cancel the noise with wind noise lol
Unless it is exceptionally windy the wrong direction and makes wind noise worse with a howl
The truck has many all new parts now it should run nearly better than before!!
No routine maintenance was delayed, oils fluids and filters changed on the schedule as close as possible

That truck is old. Taco's have had a long history of worn body bushings causing all sorts of squeaks, and rattles, and who knows what else. Most sane owners don't keep the same truck that long, nor drive that many miles to nowhere.

Back