Third Gen Love

Bogunn

I know the third gen Tacos get a bad wrap on the forums for the Atkinson motor, transmission, etc.
I can say after 7,000+ miles that it does get better. I feel no more “surging” issues and the ECU truly does learn your driving patterns. I have no more of the constant upshifting and downshifting. And the gas mileage is awesome for a 6 cylinder mid size truck.
Maybe I’m just getting more used to it too.
IMG_1411.JPG

My 3rd Gen loves me! I’m almost at 7,000 miles and the engine does seem to have learned how to deal with my lead foot and gives me a little more power where I originally thought it was lacking. I also bought the manual trans before I had even heard all the unhappy thoughts of the auto, but I’ve never driven an auto that I did enjoy,... I have figured out that 6th gear isn’t happy unless I’m on flat ground doing at least 65.

My 3rd Gen loves me! I’m almost at 7,000 miles and the engine does seem to have learned how to deal with my lead foot and gives me a little more power where I originally thought it was lacking. I also bought the manual trans before I had even heard all the unhappy thoughts of the auto, but I’ve never driven an auto that I did enjoy,... I have figured out that 6th gear isn’t happy unless I’m on flat ground doing at least 65.

I haven’t driven a manual in the 3.5. May be time to test one out.......

Surprisingly, it took a bit of getting used to, but it may be because this is the first brand new manual I’ve ever driven. All the other manuals I’ve had were already good and sloppy by the time I got them. Haha!

Haha

I know the third gen Tacos get a bad wrap on the forums for the Atkinson motor, transmission, etc.
I can say after 7,000+ miles that it does get better. I feel no more “surging” issues and the ECU truly does learn your driving patterns. I have no more of the constant upshifting and downshifting. And the gas mileage is awesome for a 6 cylinder mid size truck.
Maybe I’m just getting more used to it too.
View attachment 15501

Sure hope you are correct. Closing in on 7,000 miles. I installed the ShiftSense Pro a couple of weeks ago and that has helped tremendously with the upshifts. Wish I could do something about the downshifting at 75 mph going up a hill. Can’t afford the OVTune. I started driving this Taco like I stole it when I read the thing learns over time. I have ALWAYS babied all of my vehicles. This one has learned that if it so much as hiccups it will get the snot driven out of it. It is learning.

Now, do I have to start the lessons over because of the SSP?

Sure hope you are correct. Closing in on 7,000 miles. I installed the ShiftSense Pro a couple of weeks ago and that has helped tremendously with the upshifts. Wish I could do something about the downshifting at 75 mph going up a hill. Can’t afford the OVTune. I started driving this Taco like I stole it when I read the thing learns over time. I have ALWAYS babied all of my vehicles. This one has learned that if it so much as hiccups it will get the snot driven out of it. It is learning.

Now, do I have to start the lessons over because of the SSP?

No. The SSP works in sequential mode and is preset to change the shift points. I’d imagine it overrides so there’s no need. I’d just keep driving it like you drive and let the ECU learn you.

20180223_165713.jpg 20180223_165721.jpg Mine is at 17,500 miles and runs better than ever. Just received Baja Designs amber fogs, SR5 fog bezels and the TRD Pro skid. Anxiously awaiting TRD decals for the skid. Once I get them I will install everything. Just love how much you can mod and improve these trucks. I second everyones opinion on bigger tires affecting mpg but I am still happy getting 17.5 mpg all city driving. My 2014 F150 V8 and my 2008 Prerunner V6 never came close to that number.
I installed my BD fogs today but the SR5 bezels are flawed so hoping to get replacements. Got a little more light now anyway.

Last edited:
Back