Throttle surge on 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport.

The trannies really have issues on these 2016's... mine has been in twice and I still have surges and what feels like a slipping jolt

The trannies really have issues on these 2016's... mine has been in twice and I still have surges and what feels like a slipping jolt
I know how much you love your new truck. I hope you can get satisfaction out of this situation...

I'm going to try again with the dealer... If it doesn't help this time I think I may try a different dealership... and thank you. I do love my taco

How many different transmission TSB are there? I had it done to correct the hesitation when shifting between reverse to drive. It did fix that problem but I still have the engine revving also.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 TRD OR DCLB and it's been in the shop multiple times for transmission issues. And other issues but that's in another thread.
First I noticed the reverse to drive delay. I got the TSB 0077-16 and don't seem to have the reverse to drive delay at this time. Fixed for now.
I've got multiple types of surges happening. I feel it happen when I'm accelerating from a complete stop, it hesitates then goes. I feel it when I'm slowing down just before stopping it seems to happen right about 10-15mph during deceleration almost like it loses all power for a second.
When I come to a complete stop it feels like someone bumps my truck from the back. Some are saying axel wrap for that issue.
I've had it feel like it looses power than gains it back while going up inclines while traveling around 25-35mph.

I feel it when I'm slowing down just before stopping it seems to happen right about 10-15mph during deceleration almost like it loses all power for a second.

I have that one. Does it feel like your brake pedal loses pressure when this happens?

I feel a surging often on my 2017 when it is cold. Especially when I am parking or maneuvering at very slow speed. I see it as related to the power steering. Like it bumps the rpms up here and there. Do a test.. when cold give it a couple pushes left and right and see if that is it for you too. Not too gentle.. but you don't have to saw it hard either. Easy to feel. Annoying when parking in tight quarters like city parking decks!!! It does it more when cold.. but once you can feel it, you will likely see it does it warm also. But much less noticeable.

I had mine in to The dealer for that same problem and they did tell me it was due to the power steering. That does not seem right to me? Makes it extremely difficult to back up to a trailer or park in a tight garage. Maybe if enough people get hurt or drive through the garage wall maybe Toyota will admit they have a problem with it?

I called toyota and got a case number a few days ago and a case manager called me back today. I should be hearing from my local dealers service department or the case manager early next week to proceed.
I was told the bump after stopping might be the rear differential has damage.
I was told the surging when accelerating from a stop and delays as it increases speed maybe as designed to operate but they aren't sure. What ever that means.
The delay during deceleration where it feels like the brake loses pressure at around 15mph they are going to look into that further.
We will see.

I called toyota and got a case number a few days ago and a case manager called me back today. I should be hearing from my local dealers service department or the case manager early next week to proceed.
I was told the bump after stopping might be the rear differential has damage.
I was told the surging when accelerating from a stop and delays as it increases speed maybe as designed to operate but they aren't sure. What ever that means.
The delay during deceleration where it feels like the brake loses pressure at around 15mph they are going to look into that further.
We will see.

Please let us know what you find out. I feel like the brake pressure thing is worse as it gets warmer outside, which makes me think it could have something to do with driveline bind.

I took my truck in yesterday for the 10,000 mile service and had them do the TSB update again for the 2nd time as well as calibrate the engine. The surge is gone as well as the accelerating delay.

I got a call back from my case manager.
I was first told the truck is operating as designed. I said I don't agree with that. I was told the field tech in my area had said that's the way these trucks are designed to operate.
I said so I should be able to go to the dealer get another 2017 Tacoma and it will operate just like mine is?
It will feel like the brake loses pressure during deceleration and surge at around 15 mph, it will surge and shift while accelerating and when I come to a complete stop it will feel like someone hits the truck from behind. The case manager said well yes if that's how it's suppose to drive. I said so I'm suppose to waste more of my time taking my truck to the dealer for the 6th time in 1 month and test driving other trucks to see if they do it. And if they don't do what mine does then what?
She said then she would want to know that info. She said she would call the dealer I have been working with and see if they could have some trucks ready for me to test drive.
20 min later she called me back and said the service manager had told her that he has 15 other customers with 2017 tacoma's having the same issue and there are case numbers on all of them. No fix at this time but they are working on one. She did not know this info?? Drives as designed o_O ha
At this point she told me I could take my truck to the dealer and trade it in for something else because there is no fix for it at this time. The buy back price would have to be negotiated and up to the dealer. That's if I found something I liked.
I was also offered and accepted an 8 yr 100k mile platinum warranty with $0.00 deductible.
There is no fix at this time. They do know these issue are happening. If you are having these issues call cooperate get a case started. Take it to the dealer if you need to. Get it documented. The more they hear about these the faster a fix will come.
Hope this helps others.

Wow... unbelievable! I'm going to ask for yet another TSB when mine goes in for the 10k service too. Great deal on the warranty tho.

First they tell you it's operating normally, and then they tell you it's a common problem and Toyota is working on a fix. It's all bs. If there is a fix it will probably be years away.

My worry at this point is the 2017 Tacoma has been named the worst mid size truck for 2017 by consumer reports. On top of that, lots of people are talking about the issues these trucks are having on-line as well as to their friends and family.
All of us who spent upwards of $40,000+ on one of these will not be able to reclaim as much on our investment as a 2015 or older Tacoma has historically been able to. ie. best in class, reliability and resale. The reason I purchased a 2017 Tacoma was:
1: reliability (historically)
2: resale value (historically)
3: looks and technology
4: gas mileage 19/24
This is the most expensive Tacoma ever put out into production. Now the customers who have purchased these are going to experience the greatest loss.
1: Reliable not at this point
2: Resale value who knows
3: looks great sure but looks aren't everything.
4: Gas mileage 13/18 since I've owed it as low as 11mpg.

Back