Tow load

lovemytaco35

What's the heaviest tow load anyone has used their 6 cyl Tacoma for? And I'm talking towing a distance of at least a few hundred miles.

3,500lb is the max you should tow, although I wouldn't recommend even going near that weight. The most I'd ever tow with my v6 tacoma is a jetski or small boat. If you're towing a lot consider buying a tundra.

3,500lb is the max you should tow, although I wouldn't recommend even going near that weight. The most I'd ever tow with my v6 tacoma is a jetski or small boat. If you're towing a lot consider buying a tundra.
That's for the standard w/o tow package, tongue weight 350# with 3500# capacity.
If you have a V6 with the tow package this adds:
Class-IV towing hitch receiver,31 ATF cooler (not available on M/T), engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)32 (V6 only) it's 640# tongue and 6800/6400# capacity depending on the model SR, SR5, sport, OR, Pro
I'm sure there are folks who have used it beyond this. My uncle use to say those are just conservative suggestions to cover their ass. o_O

Just took a 5 hour trip towing a newly purchased 20 ft boat, weighing about 5200 lb including the trailer. On flat roads, the Tacoma didn't mind the load, but didn't seem to like the long uphill grades of Northern Vermont. Planning a 1000 mile trip with it this summer, but I'm torn between keeping the Tacoma or getting something with a V8.

Back