Towing a Tacoma

Tacoham

Dumb questions, but here goes.

I have a low mileage 2002 Tacoma V6 5-speed 4WD with an R150F manual transmission.
  1. Does the designation R150F INCLUDE the transfer case?
  2. Does this tranny/transfer case have an oil pump(s) that must be driven by the engine running?
  3. I want to tow this truck with my motorhome 4-down (i.e. flat tow) with all four wheels on the ground with tranny and transfer case both in neutral. Can this be done?
  4. With a flat tow, will the (4?) wheels drive the transfer case and cause damage?
  5. How much hassle to disconnect the rear driveshaft? (I really don't want to do this!)
The owners manual says no towing allowed, but I'm told by many that this Taco CAN be safely towed with both transfer case and tranny in neutral.

I have received conflicting answers - especially to questions 2,3 and 4. Help !!

The R150F is just for the model number for the transmission. It does not include the transfer case. The R150F transmission has its own transmission reservoir, which lubricates the gears of the transmission when your truck is running. When your truck is not running, and the transfer case is in neutral, the rear gear shaft and the transmission will not be spinning at all. There will only be two items that will be spinning with the truck in motion and the engine off will be the front and rear differentials. Although, if you have manual hubs, and the hubs are disengaged, the front gear shaft and front differential will be spinning with the vehicle off and in motion.
I hope that helps.

Sorry Tacoham,
I made some mistakes with my answer to you. Since the rear gear shaft is attached to the rear differential. It will spin with the engine off as long as the rear wheels are moving. With the manual hubs disengaged, the front differential and front gear shaft will not be spinning with the engine off, or if the front wheels are spinning. Hopefully, that clears it up. I will try to find you and private message you.

Tacoham,
I thought about your Tacoma Towing dilemma in the last few days. When the R150F is in neutral and the truck is running and the clutch is out or disengaged, you are technically still apply a very small amount of torque to the rear wheels. Even though, the input shaft in the R150F transmission is in neutral, and, therefore has not selected a forward gear or a reverse gear for that matter, it is still spinning because of the clutch disc spinning. As a result, the output shaft in the R150F transmission is spinning because of the centrifugal force from the spinning of the input shaft, which, in turn, will spin the rear gear shaft and the rear wheels if the back end of the truck is jacked up. I have done this experiment personally and verified these results.
The experiment you need to do is jack up the back end and the front end with the transfer case in neutral and the engine on and the clutch completely disengage, and see if the rear gear shaft is spinning.

I did some more research for you.

Properties of the Toyota R150F Transmission and the Transfer Case:
With the engine running and the transfer case in two
wheel drive mode and the transmission in neutral and the clutch
disengaged, this transfer case will spin the rear gear shaft
and the rear wheels when the rear end is jacked up because of the
output shaft in the transmission is absorbing some of the spinning
of the input shaft in the transmission from the flywheel. It will
not spin the front gear shaft.
With the engine running and the transfer case in four
wheel drive mode and the transmission in neutral and the clutch
disengaged, this transfer case will not spin the rear gear shaft
or the front gear shaft when the rear end is jacked up.
With the engine running and the transfer case in neutral mode
and the transmission in neutral and the clutch disengaged,
this transfer case will not spin the rear gear or the front gear
shaft when the rear end is jacked up.

Back