Towing question for 2017 SR5

eagleguy

I am looking to buy a trailered boat. Realistically what is the max weight and length that can be towed safely without a trailer package. My vehicle is 2WD and came with the factory hitch. I know what the speca sre but sometime they are over realistic.

Thanks

Really depends on your engine size 4 or a 6.
3500 lbs for 4 cyl.
6600 lbs for the 6 cyl. This is with the trailer tow package. As for not, i wouldn't trust pulling more than a light aluminum 12' boat.
I don't think length comes into play unless really excessive....weight alone with dictate it.

Just my opinion but from experience with these mid-size trucks i feel 3k lbs. is about all they can safely tow. After that its like the tail wagging the dog.

Thanks for the info guys. I have the V6 and was thinking 3500 might be the max for the right comfort zone. All boat towing would be on mostly flat land.

I've got the v6 auto in my 2020 and tow the boat over some holy roads here with no problem as long as you put the truck in the ECT mode and S4. You'll be fine.

I am looking to buy a trailered boat. Realistically what is the max weight and length that can be towed safely without a trailer package. My vehicle is 2WD and came with the factory hitch. I know what the speca sre but sometime they are over realistic.

Thanks
I find that stopping is the biggest concern. I'm not afraid to hook up to much with my truck when it's necessary... but ya gotta drive smart... especially with oversized tires. I've towed a 20' flat deck loaded with stainless steel no problem until the stop sign got near...
*Disclaimer*
I have a manual with 4.88 gears, 34" tires and a really nice tune but holy smokes I need brakes with a trailer... and sometimes it really tries to get away from me when driving stupid on the forest roads...
Wilwood has a couple of front end kits and there's a couple of other companies with rear disc conversion kits but now we're at ~3k in brakes...
[emoji2369]
Could do a Ferrari ceramic brake conversion..... [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

*On a side note...
I have drilled and slotted rotors and some sort of fancy ceramic pad that I expect to be noisy in the garage but at >67k, my front breaks are still fine... I couldn't bring myself to change them yet... BUT... I think they'll help me stop better so imma probably do it next week...

Last edited:
I've never towed anything over 2k lbs. without trailer brakes. Don't care how good you try and make the trucks brakes better, nothing is safer than having trailer brakes.

Back