Towing

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Armtaco, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Armtaco

Armtaco New Member

Hi everybody I just thought I'd touch a little on towing a travel trailer with my 2017 Tacoma TRD offroad V6 automatic and what I experienced with towing my 22.5 foot lance travel trailer weight 5000lbs dry I made two trips to Osoyoos in the Okanogan B.C.Allison Pass was the highest elevation gain 1342m Had Ect on so transmission wouldn't keep gear searching and in sport mode 3td to 5th gear range worked really well I was quite amazed at how well the truck handled used 7000lb equalizer weight hitch to level everything out very little sway at 65 miles per hour I had all together about 5600lbs total evenly distributed weight with no problems.Hope this helps anyone looking at purchasing and pulling a trailer with your truck.Here's a couple of my pictures with my truck and IMG_1416.jpg IMG_1418.jpg
    trailer in Osoyoos

JrSr2003, Cape taco, Raeburn and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

4. jakedillon

jakedillon Member

Any idea of transmission temperatures while pulling that much elevation?

5. OP
    Armtaco

Armtaco New Member

I have the towing package on the truck and transmission temperature wasn't any problem.

OR17TRD and jakedillon like this.
  6. jdevera

jdevera Member

IMG_2954.jpg

I feel much better after reading this. I was a little concerned about my recent purchase and the trucks ability to tow it.

TacoGal and Bogunn like this.
  7. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

I'm so impress with you guys and your trucks. I imagined towing a teardrop type trailer. But these are luxurious.

Haul on, man.

TacoGal and Bogunn like this.
  8. OR17TRD

Problem with pulling trailers that heavy and big is the stopping. These trucks can move them forward but the trailer will move the truck when stopping. Brake assistance is a must. I’ve also seen trailers pull the truck on corners when they are to big for the truck.
    These trucks can do it but it’s not the safest.
    The curb weight is 4445 lbs you have 5700lbs almost 1300 lbs more pushing it forward.

9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Very true.

OR17TRD likes this.
  10. jdevera

jdevera Member

Agreed, brake controller is a must, also a proper hitch set up makes it safer and easier. I drive like grandma when towing and never go over 65mph.

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

Important point.

12. OkieCowboy

OkieCowboy Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of where I mounted the brake controller. I bought a connector from etrailer that snapped into the adapter hidden behind the left kick panel. We made a 1,500 mile trip to south Texas after installing new tires on the 3,100 lb trailer. I have the ShiftSense Pro that helped. The truck surprised me. We had a strong tailwind on the return trip. 710 miles in just over 12 hours and about 11 mpg. IMG_0901.jpg IMG_0768.jpg

Bogunn likes this.
  13. Raeburn

Raeburn Well-Known Member

Towed the boat to the lake, 250km and over a couple small mountain passes. 5700 lbs with surge brakes on all four wheels, the truck did great, better than I expected. Mpg was between 9 and 12. Used ECT with S4 and S5, very comfortable drive. IMG_20180512_1757541.jpeg

14. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

Thanx for info nice rigs i was thinking of a bambi air stream 16-18 ft. What are you guys using for rear springs ?

15. OkieCowboy

OkieCowboy Well-Known Member

Standard rear springs with equalizer hitch. A 16-18 ft Airstream should be a dream to tow. Enjoy.

16. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

Thanx for the info.

17. cycledoc

cycledoc New Member

IMG_20160428_140136112.jpg 19 ft Bambi 2006. Does fine on the flat, lugs a bit more in mountains (Washington State) than my previous 2006 Tundra with small V8. Usually about 13 MPG.

18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

19. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I love the airstream.

20. cycledoc

cycledoc New Member

It works well and we've never had problems with sway or braking....weight over 1500 lbs in Washington State need trailer brakes. Empty weight is listed at 3500 lbs.

Cape taco and Bogunn like this.
  21. OR17TRD

I want a Bambi :D
    I like that whole set up you’ve got going.