Tranny took a crap

Discussion in 'Toyota Pickup Forum' started by Yodiac, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Yodiac

Yodiac Member

My 82 just started making a terrible noise from the trans during starting/putting in clutch/moving gearshift/ letting clutch out. .
    Not sure if im just going to start taking it apart. Pic is yesterday running pretty good, was a little difficult getting into 3rd. Its a 4x4 5spd, L50 i think.

Ill keep this udated on what I'm up too, but it may be a while, ill be borrowing the wife's car. 1103181145.jpeg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Sorry man. I hate that. Hopefully the ‘82 isn’t off the road long.

4. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

That’s what I love about a Toyota. 36 years on a transmission. You may can find a used one or get that one rebuilt. I love your truck

B-Man likes this.
  5. OP
    Yodiac

Yodiac Member

Got to look at it today, pretty sure it is the throwout bearing, trying to rig up a homade transmission jack. Probably going to slide the tranny back in an hour or so.

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Better than it could have been

Bogunn, Crawdad and kp.taco like this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I have to say that the title of this thread makes me hesitate before I click on it every time.

Crawdad, OR17TRD and B-Man like this.
  8. OR17TRD

Haha you don’t want to see a tranny take a crap?

Bogunn likes this.
  9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Not really lol

OR17TRD likes this.
  10. OP
    Yodiac

Yodiac Member

Haha... The tranny did not crap. It was a clip on the release collar, i have been updating another post in maintenance titled clutch 82 5spd 4x4. Not nearly as funny. But i did yank a tranny in my front yard with all my might and it finally came.

Bogunn, Crawdad and OR17TRD like this.
  11. OR17TRD

:eek:

12. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

So that's what was going on with all those weird animal noises on the other end of the phone...?

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  13. OR17TRD

Now I’m curious.

14. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Lotta gruntin, fartin and cussin...
    JK, he got that ****! I got a couple pages of a research paper banged out while I was chillin on the dash tho... haha

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  15. OP
    Yodiac

Yodiac Member

****in with the tranny in the front yard today, guys at Martin Crawlers pressed the release bearing on the collar for me. Got that in and the pressure plate back on, needs to be torqued to spec, 80ft lbs.

OR17TRD, Lil G, Bogunn and 1 other person like this.
  16. OP
    Yodiac

Yodiac Member

Got it all together, still makes a chirping to grinding noise when I put the clutch in.

OR17TRD likes this.
  17. OR17TRD

18. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Well damn

19. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Slave cylinder throw length not releasing clutch completely? Just a shot.

20. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Love to hear you got a resolution.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018