Transmission I hate it

I've owned fords, Chevys, and 1 Dodge. All trucks. I've had no problems with stardard shift. Automatic is convenient but to many moving parts. I'm so glad I searched for my standard shift Tacoma. I don't mind shifting. The only automatic I like in my vehicles are power mirrors and windows. Everything else manual. Sorry to hear you guys having problems with your new Tacoma. I love mine.

I've owned fords, Chevys, and 1 Dodge. All trucks. I've had no problems with stardard shift. Automatic is convenient but to many moving parts. I'm so glad I searched for my standard shift Tacoma. I don't mind shifting. The only automatic I like in my vehicles are power mirrors and windows. Everything else manual. Sorry to hear you guys having problems with your new Tacoma. I love mine.

My Ranger would blow the slave cylinder once a year taking out the clutch with it about once a year. Bad design on the 4wd manual Rangers. I would have liked another manual bu the 6 speed in the Tacoma was garbage. Supposedly they fix it but we’ll see.

My Ranger would blow the slave cylinder once a year taking out the clutch with it about once a year. Bad design on the 4wd manual Rangers. I would have liked another manual bu the 6 speed in the Tacoma was garbage. Supposedly they fix it but we’ll see.

Oh yeah, I just loved the way the shifter pulled out of the shift tower on that POS mitsubishi trans, who the **** at Ford thought it was a better idea to have a nylon shift tower that shatters like glass with age. This happened to me TWICE !!

Here at Ford, Quality is job none....

th

Oh yeah, I just loved the way the shifter pulled out of the shift tower on that POS mitsubishi trans, who the **** at Ford thought it was a better idea to have a nylon shift tower that shatters like glass with age. This happened to me TWICE !!

Here at Ford, Quality is job none....

th

Mazda trans in mine. I'd have to pump the clutch like 5 times before it would get enough pressure to release. One day I went to start and the truck jumped forward even with the clutch to the floor.

Mazda trans in mine. I'd have to pump the clutch like 5 times before it would get enough pressure to release. One day I went to start and the truck jumped forward even with the clutch to the floor.

Dude, this exact thing happened on my '86 ranger , except there was pedestrian walking in front of me & that ****er jumped forward about 4ft & looked like it literally scared the **** out of him, started yelling & couldn't really blame him, scared me too...

These changes were the beginning of the downfall of Ford (for me anyway).
The final nails in the coffin were when they discontinued the Bronco, 400, 351, and 300.

I don’t get the issue with the 6 speed manual. I have the manual in my 05 (300k, no issues, one clutch at 299k) and the auto in my 13 (100k). I don’t trust the autos, never have and keep a spare tranny in the shop, but never an issue with the 6 speed. What gives?

I don’t get the issue with the 6 speed manual. I have the manual in my 05 (300k, no issues, one clutch at 299k) and the auto in my 13 (100k). I don’t trust the autos, never have and keep a spare tranny in the shop, but never an issue with the 6 speed. What gives?

You got lucky. My buddies 07 6 speed has never given him a problem either.

You got lucky. My buddies 07 6 speed has never given him a problem either.

I’ve never known anyone to have a lot of problems out of the 6 speed manuals either.
I had a ‘12 model 5 speed 2.7 liter 4x4 and never had trouble. The techs at the dealership said it was all according to where the transmission and clutch assembly came from. The Mexican made ones were full of trouble.
It might be nonsense though because the last Tacoma’s I’ve had were made (or assembled anyway) in Baja California.

Reactions: 4wd
Same. I have an addiction to old Fords. Mainly carb’d engines but have played with many roller blocks. They ended up with carbs too though. Lol

These changes were the beginning of the downfall of Ford (for me anyway).
The final nails in the coffin were when they discontinued the Bronco, 400, 351, and 300.

Same. I have an addiction to old Fords. Mainly carb’d engines but have played with many roller blocks. They ended up with carbs too though. Lol

Yeah. I was the same way. Loved the old Ford drive trains with the C6 tranny. Any I was ever around were tough as nails.

The C6 with a manual valve body with the 1st gear brake is still my choice for off-road. Everything else I’ve ever driven was a manual. Those clutch pedals are a work out!

Yeah. I was the same way. Loved the old Ford drive trains with the C6 tranny. Any I was ever around were tough as nails.

Last edited:
The C6 with a manual valve body with the 1st gear break is still my choice for off-road. Everything else I’ve ever driven was a manual. Those clutch pedals are a work out!

Absolutely.
My first 4x4 had a C6 with a 351. Great off-road and would still cruise smoothly at 70 on the highway. An almost indestructible transmission.

I’ve never known anyone to have a lot of problems out of the 6 speed manuals either.
I had a ‘12 model 5 speed 2.7 liter 4x4 and never had trouble. The techs at the dealership said it was all according to where the transmission and clutch assembly came from. The Mexican made ones were full of trouble.
It might be nonsense though because the last Tacoma’s I’ve had were made (or assembled anyway) in Baja California.

Yeah that's nonsense, out of roughly 200 tacomas I've lifted most trucks in my region were from baja, no surprises...

Back