TRD Air Filter Element??

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by BigMau, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone added (..and how do they like it) a TRD Air Filter Element to their 2016-current Tacoma 3.5 l V-6?? I added a K&N element to my 2002 Tundra years ago... wondering if the TRD element gums up the mass air flow sensor like the K&N filter??
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

As with all oiled air filters, just make sure it isn't overly saturated.

n7narcosis, B-Man and BigMau like this.
  4. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

I was always very careful re-oilling my K&N filter. Wondering if the TRD is an improvement over the K&N design??

Taco#3 likes this.
  5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Doubt it. K&N probably makes them for TRD.

BigMau likes this.
  6. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

Could be a spectra, they look almost identical to a k&n and quiet a bit cheaper.

7. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Amen.

BigMau and whippersnapper02 like this.
  8. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing?? Just wondering if anyone installed one of these filters in their 2019-current Tacoma with the 3.5l V-6??

9. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I put the K&N in my 2018 with the 3.5

10. njsaltlife

njsaltlife Member

K&N Engineering owns both Spectra and AIRAID.

11. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

B-Man and texasred like this.
  12. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

What’s the advantage over regular replacement of the stock one?

BigMau and B-Man like this.
  13. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Nothing more than buy once and clean it vs toss and replace.

Taco#3, texasred and B-Man like this.
  14. texasred

You blow it out with compressed air?

Pardon my innocence.

B-Man likes this.
  15. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

You can blow it out with compressed air, but you will wreck the filter. Soak in cleaner, rinse and let dry in the sun. 4 hours or so on a sunny day is generally enough. That is why I keep the stock filter, which I install while my K&N is drying.

My stock filter was $24 each. The K&N was $48, and lasted 120K miles. I change/clean my air filter every 30K because of dusty roads. The K&N saved me a bit of cash.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  16. texasred

One last question...what kind of cleaner?

And thanks for the schooling!

B-Man likes this.
  17. njsaltlife

njsaltlife Member

I'm a big fan of Adam's, so I use their eco all-purpose cleaner on mine. I dilute it 5/1 and do both the filter and wrap

texasred likes this.
  18. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

You can use the K&N cleaner. I've used it and it's OK. Personally, for the past 10 years I've used Orange Clean from Home Depot. Comes in a gallon jug. I spray it on straight, flip and spray the other side. Let sit for a few minutes and rinse with a GENTLE SPRAY from the hose. Rinse again and stand on end so it drips dry. Stand in the sun for about 4 hours to dry. Like I said above, I use the OE filter while my K&N is drying. The Orange Clean is gentle because it's made from orange oil.

The bug seems to be the application of K&N oil. A light spray on both sides suffices. I have never had an over oil problem in all the years I've used a K&N filter, and many, many, many hundreds of thousands of miles.

texasred likes this.
  19. texasred

A roadmap even I might be able to follow.

Thanks.

B-Man likes this.
  20. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

If the K&N isn't fully dry the oil will not penetrate the fibers and it will just lay on the top. I wonder if this may be the 'over oiling' problem reported with these filters?

texasred likes this.
  21. texasred

OR17
    It says dry....what do clean yours with?
    Did you have to “recal” your computer (I’m assuming just disconnect battery, wait given time, and reconnect/relearn) for increased airflow?
    Or am I making this too complicated?

So sorry. I’m just too old school.

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.