Use of ECT in the Tacoma

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Joisey, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

1. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I had asked online and in three different Toyota dealerships and the answers were more or less split whether or not using the ECT button prevented the transmission from shifting into 6th gear. So, I wrote to Toyota corporation and here is their answer.

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate your inquiry, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond.
    We have researched and found the following information:

ECT PWR switch- Enhances acceleration performance and responsiveness by controlling the engine output and by changing the shift point of the transmission, thus achieving a sporty drive. Limiting the use of 6th gear when in this mode is a normal characteristic.

S mode- Will allow the use of 6th gear however, if the vehicle speed and engine speed exceeds or go below a preset level in response to the driver's downshift operation request, changing the shift range will be prohibited. In this case, the buzzer in the combination meter will sound to alert the driver.
    We apologize, we do not have a speed diagram for each gear."

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1908093089. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Sharyce W.
    Toyota Customer Experience Center

Notice how under the ECT mode heading, Toyota states that this mode not only changes shift points (which I already knew) but states that it also controls engine performance (which I had suspected).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 2:05 AM
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

That opens the door for a whole lot more questions. Id like to see the difference in torque and hp gains in ect. Also if youre planning on using ect should you fill up with premium vs 89 or 87 octane. Mine seems to run best on 89 under just normal day to day driving, 93 seems to be overkill on a daily basis. Do three pedal drivers have ect? Has yota installed their own performance tune but disguise it as ect?

Crawdad, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  4. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

This is great info Joisey! Thanks for sharing!

B-Man likes this.
  5. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I found the answer to one question and replaced it with another question.....how do you get the performance gain of the ECT button AND retain 6th gear??

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  6. bdarnold12

I don't know, I tried mine with ect on in sport mode and it still wouldn't go into 6th at 70mph.

7. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

We probably have to be going down hill with a heavy tail wind. Lol

Crawdad and B-Man like this.
  8. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

A tune would change throttle characteristics in the vehicle's regular mode which would allow for 6th. It would also increase engine power output. ECT itself doesn't increase power.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    Scott Wyman and Crawdad like this.
  9. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Sounds sort of like how Matt with OV made Tundra able to run 2 different tunes, switching between them using the tow/ haul button... pretty cool.

10. Crawdad

I'm sure Toyota claims that ect button as their performance tune but eeeh... lol
    No ECT for 3 pedals, our shift points are set to wherever the duck we want them...
    Use whatever fuel makes you smile but just know that the fuel itself doesn't give you anything but sensations. Lol
    Jelly that you can get 93... haven't been able to run any of those tunes yet... haha

11. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Since the ECT mode gives the engine more power, why lock out 6th gear when now, with the increased power, the engine may actually have the guts to use 6th gear?

Scott Wyman, Crawdad and B-Man like this.
  12. Crawdad

Because that's just good logic...

13. whippersnapper02

They did mention enhanced performance and responsiveness which is more than likely just a different throttle by wire map and maybe timing map change (doubt it) to raise mid range power but not peak power. However, tests have shown that there is no change in vehicle performance. Sounds like mostly a built in Pedal Commander.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM
  14. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I've seen those tests where the ET of the truck was a few parts of a second slower using the ECT mode. I would like to see the horsepower and torque charts overlaid so that you can see the true difference between the standard and ECT mode. Everything else is just a butt dyno.

Scott Wyman, B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  15. whippersnapper02

I want to see those too. I don't believe there is a power increase all with the button. Toyota would brag about it if there was.

16. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Butt dyno here...I can't say as I agree, but have no proof. The engine seems to rev much more freely in ECT mode. I'm not talking to redline, maybe 3600 or a bit less. Again, the chart would be great to see.

17. bdarnold12

Just spit balling here but somewhere on here I read that 4th gear was 1:1, 5th gear is basically overdrive, 6th gear would be double overdrive. Maybe yota is trying to tell us that if youre pulling hard enough or running hard enough to use ect you don't need to be in 6th gear. Too much transmission heat??????

18. bdarnold12

Beings that 3 peddlers dont have etc id say its more of a transmission programing thing than engine performance. The engine does seem to perform better in ect but probably just because its not short shifting.

19. whippersnapper02

It's really meant for towing so it makes sense that it would keep the trans out of high gear to keep it from hunting which creates heat. It's in now way a performance enhancement to a non performance vehicle.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  20. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

How about ShiftSense. Doesn’t alter engine, just shift points...right?

21. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

If I towed with this truck, I'd limit it to 4th gear, 1:1 ratio. Overdrive gears get beaten to death towing. My 06 GMC limited the trans to 1:1 when towing.