Want to add a USB port

jdr3366

Hi all,
I want to add a USB port in place of the blank to the left of the steering wheel, as shown.

Please excuse the dumb questions, but here we go.

Can I just reach around back of the blank and push it out, or do I have to remove the entire panel?

Can I simply splice into the wires from the USB port in the center of the dashboard?

And, dread, do I have to disconnect the battery?

That's it.

Instructional videos are always appreciate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 4.51.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 4.51.38 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
Hi all,
I want to add a USB port in place of the blank to the left of the steering wheel, as shown.

Please excuse the dumb questions, but here we go.

Can I just reach around back of the blank and push it out, or do I have to remove the entire panel?

Can I simply splice into the wires from the USB port in the center of the dashboard?

And, dread, do I have to disconnect the battery?

That's it.

Instructional videos are always appreciate.

I’m not sure how the 3rd gen dash is, but on the 2nd there is a fuse panel right below, so you can take that panel off and push the blank out from the back. Hope it’s that easy for you!

Very depressed.:(
It only takes about 10 min I've done it several times twice during the switch pro/USB project and again to put in the remote start. It's well worth it and once you get started it's only about 30 min for the whole thing including wiring. If you don't want to go through the fire wall to power it you could run a fuse tap in the fuse box that is right there.

Jason, thanks.

So, you would not tap into the existing USB port wires, just use a fuse from the existing fuse box. Which one?

Jason, thanks.

So, you would not tap into the existing USB port wires, just use a fuse from the existing fuse box. Which one?
I would not tap the existing USB port as it is primarily for data to the head unit and charges very slowly. I have not tried to use a fuse tap on the inside fuse box but I have on the under the hood for switched power for something else and it should work and you could get constant or switched power depending on which fuse you tap. My first choice and what I did was cut a small slit in the rubber around the existing wiring going through the firewall and run a wire with an in line blade fuse directly to the battery.

Back