Warming up the engine.

Joef2661

So I've been reading some info on how long I should let my engine warm up before taking off and I'm getting different time frames. What are your guys opinions?

Agreed!
Then just drive gently for a few minutes as the fluids get moving in the diffs, transcase, tranny, and the engine warms up. I am fortunate to live on a long secondary road before i get to the hwy, so it takes me about 3 minutes driving about 50 kms/hr ( 30 mph ) till i get to the hwy where I punch it to get up to speed in the traffic. In the summer I let it idle a minute before i drive off, in winter about 2 minutes, then slow and easy that 3 minutes to the hwy.

I start mine and let it warm up about 10-15 minutes.....cold here in the AMs and I like it warm.......LOL.......during warm weather let 'er warm up 5-10 minutes and take off!

I start mine normally 3 to 5 minutes before I leave home. I only have a 10 minute commute to work. Top speed of 55. I’m very fortunate enough to live close to work.
I'm close to work too. 10 minute drive, but the first half is 30 mph. Gives me time to warm it up.

I wait until I release the key, Good grief guys it's a truck and waiting or not waiting after starting is irrelevant. It will not allow the engine or any other component to last a second longer.

I’ve owned several Tacoma’s/ a suby outback AWD, and my good friend has been a Lead TRD Tech for 15years.
- There are factors. : Air-Elevation/ Winter Conditions 24hrs a day, etc...
- The General Answer(s) TWO that I got that everyone agreed upon was:
1) If you can start your Truck 1-3minutes before (Side Road Travel) that would
Be ideal.
2) Idling for TOO long of periods, such as 30-45mins is just has harmful as starting off down the road with a cold engine/oil.

Basically, winter time, I hit remote start and let run for 10mins tops. - I drive at least 1/2 too 1mile before hitting major highway.
—- Summer or any other time after truck has been warmed up, I wait till
My Kenwood Headunit starts up and I can use my reverse camera. This makes me wait a minimum of 1min.

Dahlia my “06 DCSB-TRD-SR5” with literally 130,021 using mobile 1 synthetic.
Has ZERO issue(s) period. (Knock on wood). I’ve been proud to say I e driven a few vehicles 100,000 plus miles over it expected life and in some cases my nieces & nephews are still driving 2 of them around in Florida which last I checked. They broke the 300,000 miles mark about 2 months ago.

Take care of it and it will take care of
You. Also driving while in a hurry is also very dangerous. So just slow it down a bit. Listen to your trucks noises and startup specific things. This will help in the long run when you don’t want a mechanic to take advantage of you.

I wait maybe 15-30 seconds. Once the RPM drop and the rad fan disengages I put it in drive. If it is really cold like -20°C I will let it idle for a minute or two while I clean the truck off. Any longer than that and you're just wasting gas.

I'm in central california so hot summers and mild winters. Like I said before, I let the idle come down, I guess about 1 minute in summer and maybe 2 minutes in winter. No need for long warm-ups as no snow or freezing temps here.

I've heard that it takes about 12 seconds for your oil pump to fully lubricate your engine... so I'd think there isn't much benefit to let it run much longer than that.

Back