Washing The Undercarriage

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by WooD, Feb 11, 2019.

1. WooD

WooD WooD

Read mass posts of people power washing, putting a lawn sprinkler under them, and driving thru car washes.

Back around 2004 I made a bubba undercarriage washer for a Dodge truck I drove on the beach almost every day. Then used it on my Jeep up till I bought my Tacoma.

I made it out of some old PVC pipe and fittings I had laying around. Last month the hose fitting finally broke off. I figured it was time for a couple upgrades.

Added a water cut off valve, quick detach, and a 90 degree elbow so it would be more comfortable to use. It was also but ugly so I sprayed it down with a can of blue paint I had on a shelf. Still ugly, but works better than anything I've seen, and has been going strong for 15 years.

I was gonna trash it and make a new one out of 3/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe, but it kinda has sentimental values now.

[​IMG]

Cape taco, BigMau, laarpr and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. n7narcosis

n7narcosis Well-Known Member

Smart idea! Thanks for sharing

WooD, texasred and B-Man like this.
  4. TucsonSteve

TucsonSteve Well-Known Member

Thought for sure this was going to be a post for OR17TRD

OR17TRD, texasred and kp.taco like this.
  5. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

@OR17TRD
    @OR17TRD
    @OR17TRD

Haha that beetlejuice sh#t will get him for sure!

6. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Great idea. Put a set of wheels on the elbow next to the spray head and you can roll it around under the truck.

Scott Wyman, WooD and texasred like this.
  7. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

That’s a great idea

WooD and texasred like this.
  8. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Bodge king! Great idea.

B-Man and WooD like this.
  9. JASN

JASN Well-Known Member

Just have to wait for the great thaw of 2019 to wash the undercarriage 20190208_150831.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Taco Forum mobile app

10. BeardedVooDoo

BeardedVooDoo Well-Known Member

love the ingenuity

11. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Add a mirror so you can see what you're washing and you're all set!

BeardedVooDoo, texasred and B-Man like this.
  12. OP
    WooD

WooD WooD

I think a go pro camera WooD probably give better results.

It works perfect the way it is. The old style nozzle can be adjusted for any spray pattern you want.

The water shut off valve is the best upgrade I've done to it. Will keep me a lot dryer.

Scott Wyman, B-Man and texasred like this.
  13. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Is a GoPro water/crap proof?

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  14. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Thinking of making one of these to clean the Pennsylvania winter road salt/grime from my Tacoma. Would be a nice PVC plastics project for my 9th grade students.

Scott Wyman, B-Man and texasred like this.
  15. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I sure dont miss that PA road sludge eating away at my vehicles. You need all the help you can get my brother. :(

texasred and B-Man like this.
  16. B-RI

B-RI Well-Known Member

Personally before I’m on the job I like to give my undercarriage a bit of a how's-your-father.

texasred and kp.taco like this.
  17. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

B-Man and texasred like this.
  18. Dino2015

Dino2015 Member

Since the Tacoma bed is plastic instead of metal is just hosing off the exhaust system from road salt would that be the only thing that will rust out quickly?

19. OP
    WooD

WooD WooD

Frame, body, mounts, bolts.......

Great multitudes that could rust. Not sure which gen it was, but a lot of Tacoma frames had to be replaced due to rust.

Bogunn likes this.
  20. 15trd

15trd New Member

Did Toyota rectify the Tacoma rust issues ??? If so, what have they done to prevent future frame damage. What year did they implement a fix to the issue? Thanks

21. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

How is the paint bonding to the plastic pipe? Usually it won't hold unless the plastic is flamed.