What about Black?

Bodacious

Honestly not too crazy over the Tacomas color choices. I've had white trucks for years and always enjoyed the looks of them. Thinkin' about getting out of the box and going TRD BLACK. I'm capable of caring for a black truck but not sure how Toyotas black holds up as far as swirl marks. ( is the clearcoat durable?) I'm a on-road boring old geezer with OCD as far as clean vehicles go. Any good photos of Black Taco AC's would be great...(TRD's even better) .Thanks

Last edited:
I have the magnetic grey and it seems to be a very weak clear coat. Stick with white or the light grey. I'd be curious to hear others experiences. (2013 DCLB 4x4 btw).

Me too, but they do require more maintenance. I'm thinking about getting my whole truck plasti dipped. In either a satin silver or a satin black. Well see

Me too, but they do require more maintenance. I'm thinking about getting my whole truck plasti dipped. In either a satin silver or a satin black. Well see

Be different. You should do monster green or koi orange, I would love to do koi orange when I get my rear quarter panels fixed.

Love my Spruce Mica!
Yes, I looked at a Spruce Mica DC on a cloudy day and thought it was pretty nice. Went back a couple of days latter with bluebird sky's and sun. Something about the "olive highlights" didn't work for me. Nice Truck though.......glad you like it. The Gen 1's had a forest green that I liked, just not available in the Gen 2's.

Had a white 90' Cherokee that I drove hard as my first vehicle, then a silver 04' frontier that was an economical daily. Both were much more impervious to day to day and "extracurricular" wear and tear on the paint. My 13' taco, which I love, is the darkest and the least resistant to heavy and even micro scratches. Can't pinpoint it as a Toyota problem or a point of reference problem having two much lighter colored vehicles previously. If you are as fastidious as you say, id steer clear of the dark colors. For the record, agree with how well the black trucks look. Good luck!

Hella, are you saying that you can put Rhino liner on your whole truck? I guess it would be pretty durable.

Hella, are you saying that you can put Rhino liner on your whole truck? I guess it would be pretty durable.

I know a guy that did that to his Dodge Ram, the shop mixed the Dodge green color in with the Rhino. It looks like the truck was sitting out in the freezing rain all night long. As always the metal still rusts from the backside.

Pretty much all vehicles these days have weak paint and clear coats. The paints are water based not solvent and more.

Pretty much all vehicles these days have weak paint and clear coats. The paints are water based not solvent and more.

"These days" being writhing the last 10 years? Truly a bummer how weak mine appears to be after only having a year. I wonder how much it varies from manufacturer to manufacture....

My youngest son bought his new 2013 Toyota TRD Sport and HAD to have a Black one.. I did my bust to talk him into another color but he HAD to have Black! He bought it here in Oregon (no sales tax) and lives in San Diego (US NAVY).. Within a week of getting back to So Calif, he admitted he should have listened to me. He has to wash it a few times a week! My guess is, he will sell it as soon as the new body style comes out and get another color...

1ibeo2.jpg

313gh8o.jpg

2uy5emt.jpg

2isb7tk.jpg

Last edited:
I had a black Mustang because all the other colors were either a little too, shall we say, Paul Lynde, or too attention getting. It looked great after I washed it. I'd wash it in the afternoon after coming home from work. By the time I got in it in the morning, just sitting in the driveway, it was dirty and looked like crap. It also go swirl marks on it and I used microfiber clothes and rinsed them fanatically.

I have Barcelona red on my Taco and even when it is dirty it looks pretty clean. It never looks bad and I don't bother to wash it by hand. I run it through the local Autobell for $4.00 every month or so and it looks like a million bucks.

If you want the ultimate manly finish, parkerize it. Just get a few gallons of phosphoric acid and some manganese dioxide and have at it.

Honestly not too crazy over the Tacomas color choices. I've had white trucks for years and always enjoyed the looks of them. Thinkin' about getting out of the box and going TRD BLACK. I'm capable of caring for a black truck but not sure how Toyotas black holds up as far as swirl marks. ( is the clearcoat durable?) I'm a on-road boring old geezer with OCD as far as clean vehicles go. Any good photos of Black Taco AC's would be great...(TRD's even better) .Thanks

Honestly I think Toyota just uses cheap paint and clear coat that aren't durable whatsoever. I had a black FJ cruiser and it did okay but every scratch stuck out like a sore thumb. Went with the Magnetic Gray thinking it wouldn't show as badly but I was sadly mistaken. I like my choice to go with the gray though because it doesn't show dirt as badly

Back