What Gl5 do you use?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bojangles, Jun 24, 2017.

?

What rear diff fluid do you prefer?

1. Synthetic

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Dino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Valvoline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mobil1

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Amsoil

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Supertech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 75 90

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. 75 140

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Royal purple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Redline

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OP
    Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Im betting toyota doesnt make any fluid.... therefore i bet someone else makes 75 85

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Redline does.

billssr5 likes this.
  4. OP
    Bojangles

Hell, delco makes it too

5. billssr5

billssr5 Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuine-Fluid-08885-02506-Differential/dp/B004SL9HP6 I can get the Redline 75w85 gl5 for $16 a quart, probably should just use the 75w90 gl5 but im trying to stick with Toyotas recommendations on oils. I use the 75w85 in the rear diff only and use Walmart super tech 75w90 in the transfer and front diff this offsets the total cost a little for a 30k maintainence. since the trucks a daily driver I want the best MPGs so using the lighter oil in the rear might help some, if I towed or hauled heavy loads a lot I would use the 75w90 a little thicker oil.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  6. billssr5

billssr5 Well-Known Member

best price is Redline 75w85 gl5 I could find, got it thru Walmart.com online $16 a quart with free shipping

7. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Just finished the front and rear diffs......Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  8. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic . no LSD additive as mine is an imposter..

vwgtiturbo, Bojangles and B-Man like this.
  9. vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo Well-Known Member

I thought I saw a reference to this somewhere, but cannot find it (on mobile)... I'm trying to figure out what to use in my diff (Prerunner with electric locking diff). What exactly is an "imposter"?

10. kp.taco

I just used the word "imposter" because mine is not an actual limited slip. It is simulated by the rear brakes. I don't know much about the locking diffs and don't want to give you bad info. @whippersnapper02 has the Off road taco.

vwgtiturbo likes this.
  11. vwgtiturbo

Thanks! I've been really spoiled with mine (Read: haven't had to touch it and therefore am ignorant), and am trying to get the lingo down!

kp.taco likes this.
  12. kp.taco

What year is it? 2009 was the first year of the fake limited slip diff.

13. vwgtiturbo

It's an '05 Off Road.

14. kp.taco

You will need the LSD additive. Even if the bottle says it has it in it. Still add it

vwgtiturbo likes this.
  15. vwgtiturbo

Excellent, thanks for the info! The next month or so will be quite interesting LOL.

16. kp.taco

Remove the fill plug first then the drain plug. If you drain it then can't fill it your in trouble.

B-Man and vwgtiturbo like this.
  17. vwgtiturbo

LOLOLOL thanks, that would... NOT be pleasant!

18. OP
    Bojangles

U dont need any additive on an offroad.

75/90 dino, syn or semi syn... ur call

vwgtiturbo and B-Man like this.
  19. OP
    Bojangles

Incorrect.... offroad needs no additive, it is not limited slip.

B-Man, vwgtiturbo and kp.taco like this.
  20. kp.taco

Well I suppose your correct jangley

Bojangles likes this.
  21. OP
    Bojangles

2005-2008 offroads are not limited slip, no friction modifier additive needed

NO offroads are clutch type limited slip, only the 2009+ have brake actuated limited slip, no clutches... no need for friction modifier.

Trd sports from 2005-2008 have clutch type limited slips and need friction modifier added to gl5 and do not usually like synthetics from info gathered over the yrs. Mobil1 users thinking the "ls" tag on the bottle thinking that was good enough got chatter when doing tight turns. SOME said they had chatter with mobil1 with a tube of friction modifier. Easiest way to do this... use dino or semisyn, and friction modifier.

2009 to present offroad or sport or base dont have any clutch based limited slip, so no need for any friction modifier, use dino, syn, or semisyn.

whippersnapper02 and kp.taco like this.