What have you done to your Tacoma today?

Gave the truck a seven to eight hour bath wheeling in the constant driving rain across Iowa into the land of Lincoln, ..
.half the winter undercoating washed off I bet, what. a. waste. :mad:
Very windy out and Saw at least 5 tractor trailers ditched in the western hills, flipped over, Caught up on the wire median barrier. One was an Amazon trailer, oh my!
And There's a very good chance I witnessed a man die on i80 near the US-151 exit
In the distance I saw 3 vehicles on a 2 lane stretch coming the other way. As I slowed up and they got closer one of them was bouncing around violently in the dirt median hitting one metal fence wire post after another and did not appear to be slowing down much, probably had his foot jammed on the throttle. As I passed the other I glanced on saw the driver's head dropping but not on the wheel. If it would've been a case of just dozing off in the afternoon all that jerking around on the fence should be enough to wake someone up.
The cars behind him were not passing, probably wondering what the heck he was doing in the median hitting those posts one right after the other.
I've never seen something like that before :(

Gave the truck a seven to eight hour bath wheeling in the constant driving rain across Iowa into the land of Lincoln, ..
.half the winter undercoating washed off I bet, what. a. waste. :mad:
Very windy out and Saw at least 5 tractor trailers ditched in the western hills, flipped over, Caught up on the wire median barrier. One was an Amazon trailer, oh my!
And There's a very good chance I witnessed a man die on i80 near the US-151 exit
In the distance I saw 3 vehicles on a 2 lane stretch coming the other way. As I slowed up and they got closer one of them was bouncing around violently in the dirt median hitting one metal fence wire post after another and did not appear to be slowing down much, probably had his foot jammed on the throttle. As I passed the other I glanced on saw the driver's head dropping but not on the wheel. If it would've been a case of just dozing off in the afternoon all that jerking around on the fence should be enough to wake someone up.
The cars behind him were not passing, probably wondering what the heck he was doing in the median hitting those posts one right after the other.
I've never seen something like that before :(
I've seen some bad stuff back in my early years when driving. Saw 3 friends i knew that were in a car street racing get killed when their car hit the curb at nearly 100 mph, and left the pavement hitting a tree dead on. Not much was left.

@JayQQ97

I told you about the dangers and idiots that run on I-80.

BTW, we are desperate for the rain. Still way short of normal rainfall. Drought conditions remain.

@JayQQ97

BTW, we are desperate for the rain. Still way short of normal rainfall. Drought conditions remain.
I know!
West of Des Moines is worse with the nasty wind and the twisty hills and heavy truck traffic
They really ought to make the stretch from council bluffs to the capital 3 lanes both ways like they do in Nebraska on i80 for about 50 miles

I saw that guy plowing through that wire fence coming a mile away
I am searching Iowa state patrol reports what happened there but it might be a few days

Nice list of the day's activities.

Later.....I'm going to bed. :p
@JayQQ97

We've only recently been getting rain more often here. Their saying were in for a good winter with this triple el nina coming. I'll believe them when i see it.lol

Triple el Nina....?????? whaaaat?

Must be due to global warming. I mean afterall.....the earth is about 1.5 degrees hotter than the earliest records. I tell ya, we're burning up.

I know!
West of Des Moines is worse with the nasty wind and the twisty hills and heavy truck traffic
They really ought to make the stretch from council bluffs to the capital 3 lanes both ways like they do in Nebraska on i80 for about 50 miles

I saw that guy plowing through that wire fence coming a mile away
I am searching Iowa state patrol reports what happened there but it might be a few days

Ya know.... if I-80 is expanded to 3 lanes, that is a 10+ year project and there won't be any resources to fix all the pot holes and other roads or bridges.

I s'pose we could wait for the Infrastructure Appropriations promised during the 2020 campaign by the winner and sidekicks..........

Did I see a pig fly by????

Triple el Nina....?????? whaaaat?

Must be due to global warming. I mean afterall.....the earth is about 1.5 degrees hotter than the earliest records. I tell ya, we're burning up.
Were on the edge of what is predicted a colder, snowier winter than normal. I've heard this bs many times,
and its just bs. I don't see any of this according to the grey squirrels here. We had a fairly dry summer though. Usually it all evens out.
Ya know.... if I-80 is expanded to 3 lanes, that is a 10+ year project and there won't be any resources to fix all the pot holes and other roads or bridges.

I s'pose we could wait for the Infrastructure Appropriations promised during the 2020 campaign by the winner and sidekicks..........

Did I see a pig fly by????
What ever happened to our current fearless leaders ''build back better'' deal thats suppose to be in effect? or shall i put it ''build back broke''
I heard they built a useless bridge to nowhere,o_O and heated sidewalks for the homeless.:(

Those were MT campaign promises. Just like the current campaign and many in the past.

We are faced with choosing the best liar. Its a pitiful situation.

Those were MT campaign promises. Just like the current campaign and many in the past.

We are faced with choosing the best liar. Its a pitiful situation.
You ain't kidding. The latest from these bozo's is to stop whining about this inflation, and eat more chef boyardee if your still hungry.

checked power steering level (its been a long spell since i ever looked at it, its ALL original still at 277k)
it was halfway into the HOT mark so i suppose its good and not leaking into a bellow or elsewhere?
must be some other liquid i spotted the other day near the top of the rack

@JayQQ97

You should consider changing the PS fluid. That stuff gets old and loses lubrication properties. It should be a nice red. If its a dark red or black, then its overdue. I think the Gen 1 uses ATF like the Gen 2 in the PS. Double check your manual to be sure.

Also, take a look at the brake fluid. That stuff likes to absorb water. I changed the fluid on our '02 Chevy Trailblazer because it had turned green. I thought why is the brake fluid green.......then the light went off......stupid....its algae growing due to the water...... o_O So, when the Chevy was done, I changed the Tacoma. The Chevy had OEM fluid. Ehhhh...20 years service is tough to complain about. Had no clue if the Tacoma had been changed, so the cost is small and my time only costs a beer or 2.

removed this insulator WITH ISSUES
aside from the nasty mess it made from 25.5 years under the hood
one of the clips end piece broke and rattled down inside one of the hollow channels
will it pose a rattling sound or not? maybe it come back forward and fall out?
i don't see any way to get that little piece out LOL
new pad + clips going on today or tomorrow...
IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

@JayQQ97

You should consider changing the PS fluid. That stuff gets old and loses lubrication properties. It should be a nice red. If its a dark red or black, then its overdue. I think the Gen 1 uses ATF like the Gen 2 in the PS. Double check your manual to be sure.

Also, take a look at the brake fluid. That stuff likes to absorb water. I changed the fluid on our '02 Chevy Trailblazer because it had turned green. I thought why is the brake fluid green.......then the light went off......stupid....its algae growing due to the water...... o_O So, when the Chevy was done, I changed the Tacoma. The Chevy had OEM fluid. Ehhhh...20 years service is tough to complain about. Had no clue if the Tacoma had been changed, so the cost is small and my time only costs a beer or 2.
When i replaced the steering rack in my gen1 tundra i used plain old dexron 3 atf. Probably no different for a gen1 tacoma.

removed this insulator WITH ISSUES
aside from the nasty mess it made from 25.5 years under the hood
one of the clips end piece broke and rattled down inside one of the hollow channels
will it pose a rattling sound or not? maybe it come back forward and fall out?
i don't see any way to get that little piece out LOL
new pad + clips going on today or tomorrow...
View attachment 34452

View attachment 34454
All i can tell you when i had my gen1 tundra mice use to store their hickory nuts in those channels. I tried everything even a power washer to get them out, short of training a mouse to go in there, and retrieve them. For the most part i didn't hear any rattles in the cab, only when i lifted the hood to service the truck.

time to drop some hot chevRon Havoline semi-synthetic engine oil after a long cloudy rainy day

i am more than exhausted...
and the ground is wettish :confused:

Back