What have you done to your Tacoma today?

got alignment checked and adjusted at fireStone
it was a bit 0FF!
ready for that wickked nasty 62

Towed my sled, and trailer up to the mt greylock visitors center parking lot, and rode the sled several miles to the summit...broke over ft of fresh snow from last night. Was quite a day to remember.

Had to drive a little over an hour yesterday to my accountants to pick up my tax returns. Passed 6 different colored gen3 tacoma's on the interstate getting there, and 4 more on the way back.

I haven't done a thing to my Tacoma today or yesterday. Its just sitting in the driveway.....resting. Ready to go and do whatever is needed.

I stay tight on the maintenance, so I have confidence the truck is ready to do anything within its capabilities. I don't try to extend repairs or maintenance to reach an arbitrary target. When it needs service or repair..........the work gets done.

Just counting the days until decent weather for a day so I can do a full detail on the Tacoma, including an underbelly flush.

Just came back after shopping at tractor supply. Picked up tune up stuff like oil, air filters, and plugs, plus a jug of 30w oil. My 50 year+ tractor is going to get a treat.

and what "62" city, county, state, or country highway would that be ole friend ? I'm going to google that but you already kenw that.
That wickked 62 hwy that rolls through northern Arkansas :eek:
There are so many deep wooded valleys to be seen but ya just can't stare. You gotta take quik peeks or else... No guardrails or shoulders and it's straight off the road and down tens of feet onto the trees... Trees don't have leaves yet so you can see for miles :oops:

Many of the secondary roads in Quebec where I've snowmobiled, and fish have no shoulders, just a deep ditch along the side of the roads where the snow is plowed during the brutal winters up there. All the locals drive with 4 studded tires. You get too close to the edge of these roads in the winter, and you'll get sucked in like buddy did in his taco...which rolled completely over on its roof. The soft snow saved the truck from any big damage.

Well I ran across some new Toyota coolant in my garage today and figured, nearing 86k miles, that it was time to do a coolant flush on the old 2008. Then I looked at the history on Toyota.com/owners and see it was done at 77k miles by Toyota back in 2019. I do have diff fluid so I will do that flush instead. I do need to buy a new serpentine belt. Thinking about washing it and using ceramic wax since it hasn't been washed since July 2022. Otherwise there's nothing that needs to be done to that truck. Plan on doing the transmission flush at 100k miles but, with only driving 150 miles a month, it won't reach 100k miles until the year 2031. Things sure move a lot slower when you are retired.

Attachments

• 20220918_115254 red.jpg
    20220918_115254 red.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 9
Well I ran across some new Toyota coolant in my garage today and figured, nearing 86k miles, that it was time to do a coolant flush on the old 2008. Then I looked at the history on Toyota.com/owners and see it was done at 77k miles by Toyota back in 2019. I do have diff fluid so I will do that flush instead. I do need to buy a new serpentine belt. Thinking about washing it and using ceramic wax since it hasn't been washed since July 2022. Otherwise there's nothing that needs to be done to that truck. Plan on doing the transmission flush at 100k miles but, with only driving 150 miles a month, it won't reach 100k miles until the year 2031. Things sure move a lot slower when you are retired.
You sir have a very beautiful pickup truck.

Why did ya get rid of your 3rd gen ? And which similar color was it if you dont mind me asking….
Blazing Blue Pearl. Long story short. Out of 6 Tacomas, of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, the 3rd gen was the least responsive (with better exhaust and a K&N CAI) and had more problems than all the rest combined. 1st 6 months it spent a lot of time at the dealer for warranty and recall work. I hoped it would be my retirement vehicle. From 6 months until 66 months it was more reliable but still no low end torque and dealer reflashed transmission 3 times. Shifting was very quirky. Sold it with 25k miles after 5.5 years, in May 2021, for what I paid new on 1/4/2016. Bought a 2012 and a 2008 Tacoma. Put over $3k in the bank. Never been happier.

Attachments

• 20210310_165123 - Copy.jpg
    20210310_165123 - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Blazing Blue Pearl. Long story short. Out of 6 Tacomas, of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, the 3rd gen was the least responsive (with better exhaust and a K&N CAI) and had more problems than all the rest combined. 1st 6 months it spent a lot of time at the dealer for warranty and recall work. I hoped it would be my retirement vehicle. From 6 months until 66 months it was more reliable but still no low end torque and dealer reflashed transmission 3 times. Shifting was very quirky. Sold it with 25k miles after 5.5 years, in May 2021, for what I paid new on 1/4/2016. Bought a 2012 and a 2008 Tacoma. Put over $3k in the bank. Never been happier.
I am so happy for you but i also had no idea Tacomas have these many problems. Shoot, my current 2020 Sport VooDooBlue has 69,000 miles and no issues so far. My 2016 Sport had 99,000 miles when I traded it to my son with no issues. And my freaking 2014 Sport had 50,000 miles when I traded that one to my youngest son for his 1993 "pickup-truck". Is it possible after market add-on parts lowers the life span of a Tacoma ?

I attribute most issues to being the first year of a new model. I think most issues were resolved after the 2018 model year. I expected some new model issues and I still don't think it was particularly a lemon. A month after I bought the 2016 I sold my 2008 with 58k miles. Paid off the 16 in 27 months. After selling my 2016 I received yet another recall for potential frame perforation. I loved the mpg and appearance of the 2016 but I am now a 2nd genner for life. I have upgraded everything in the 2008 and 2012 to have the same features of my 2016 including touch screens with NAV,, rear cameras, wheels, floor liners, leather Clazzio seat covers and Kicker speakers. The 4.0 automatic may get less mpg but, with true low end torque, I get more SPG (smiles per gallon). At one point I was considering trading in the 16 for a new Ranger. Yes I was that desperate.

I attribute most issues to being the first year of a new model. I think most issues were resolved after the 2018 model year. I expected some new model issues and I still don't think it was particularly a lemon. A month after I bought the 2016 I sold my 2008 with 58k miles. Paid off the 16 in 27 months. After selling my 2016 I received yet another recall for potential frame perforation. I loved the mpg and appearance of the 2016 but I am now a 2nd genner for life. I have upgraded everything in the 2008 and 2012 to have the same features of my 2016 including touch screens with NAV,, rear cameras, wheels, floor liners, leather Clazzio seat covers and Kicker speakers. The 4.0 automatic may get less mpg but, with true low end torque, I get more SPG (smiles per gallon). At one point I was considering trading in the 16 for a new Ranger. Yes I was that desperate.
You are not the first person that has told me this. I'm even starting to see the tiny detail differences between the gen2 and gen3.

Today will be to dig the Tacoma out of the most recent snowfall. 2" of the wet heavy stuff, just almost slush. When it hits a surface it freezes.

More of this crap is predicted on Saturday. C'MON APRIL!!!!!!

Spring snow is always wet, heavy and turns to ice on contact. It'd be nice if the snowplows wouldn't plug the storm drains.

We're expecting the same wet heavy crap tonight, and another chance for a big mess Monday. Wtf, it didn't do squat all winter and now that its almost spring were starting to see snow? Too bad it's gone in a couple days, the sun is high.

Back