? Where is the Gen1 Taco traffic at ?

so assuming your fancy tacoJoel Gen3 taco has an outlay of $35k over 4 years span that is currently 8750$ per year... correct me if my assumption for 35k is too high or too lowball all-inclusive

the OG guy in Colorado has $77k over 26 years which is 2965$ per annum

so the total costs of your fancy Gen3 truck is well over 150 per cent more than his truck at this very moment in the here and now per annum

It was substantially over $35k otd. Insurance isn't bad as I bundled our other car, house, and my toys with one insurer. Property tax isn't bad either as I live in a town with the lowest mill rate in the state. I don't drive many miles a week now either that I'm retired, so fuel cost's are low at 19-23 mpg. No repair, or tire costs either yet, other than a once a year oil change, and some rust inhibitor proofing, so idk what you're getting at. I have a fairly new truck yet with zero issues to worry about. Like I mentioned earlier, I can get most of that back if needed selling it tomorrow.

Last edited:
wanna chat and compare about a per-mile cost basis on your Gen3 rig, tacoJoel?

i reckon i am leaps and bounds abouve you in the present here and now currently

i could be at 33c per mile while you are likely still OVER 1$ per mile

It was substantially over $35k otd. Insurance isn't bad as I bundled our other car, house, and my toys with one insurer. Property tax isn't bad either as I live in a town with the lowest mill rate in the state. I don't drive many miles a week now either that I'm retired, so fuel cost's are low at 19-23 mpg. No repair, or tire costs either yet, other than a once a year oil change, and some rust inhibitor proofing, so idk what you're getting at. I have a fairly new truck yet with zero issues to worry about.

you have a very cool truck i am completely jealous of ... even though there are no furnished pics of it :confused:

wanna chat and compare about a per-mile cost basis on your Gen3 rig, tacoJoel?

i reckon i am leaps and bounds abouve you in the present here and now currently

i could be at 33c per mile while you are likely still OVER 1$ per mile
Not when you keep throwing expensive parts into an old truck....it adds up. Most forget what they have spent every year in repair costs of their vehicle, only to end up with nothing when it finally comes time for a new one.
Don't be jealous, it was a gift to myself after retiring.

these maintenance and new parts this past year have definitely been out of the ordinary and all added up very quick in a short amount of time

if i round it to $10k in new parts and maintenance over the past full year and can get 200k miles out of it before a redux should appear
it will add an additional 5c per mile, which is not extreme?
even at 100k miles before that damned pilot bearing fails again and it all needs ripped open it would only be 10c per mile added to the total per mile outlay

being able to get quality OEM dealer parts at 31 to 45 per cent off listed MSRP has been quite beneficial in cutting overall costs
more than quite a few of these new taco parts have MSRP of 250$ to 800$ EACH
the shear cost savings on those parts alone has very much helped to cover the labour costs that of that which i am not able to DIY at the moment

if only one could get many many many miles on the tires because dammit those are nowhere near 500$ for a full set of new shoes :confused:
don't even mention the tacoJuice prices :mad:

Your wishing for that big if that is more likely never to come. At any rate, you can always throw more parts into it that you'll never recover. It's like renting an apartment that belongs to others vs owning a home thats yours.

chew on this...

those 2 buggered front left wheel bearings during the past 3 years have increased the cost per mile 1.17 cents with about a 1700$ outlay, perhaps a bitty more with the supplied OEM bearing the 2nd of 3 shots that was installed improperly leaving the wheel with a small knock... peace of shhitt parts changer was blaming cupping of tires for the vibe i was feeling wheelin' it at 70 mph

this taco belongs to yours truly and NOT to someone anyone else as the note was fully paid for more than 20 years ago
SMH SMH
still SMH

Never said it didn't belong to you, but when you start throwing more repairs into it than you'll ever recover back, it's like pissing money away renting vs owning. You have to look at some stuff that way, or you'll end up behind the 8 ball.

Whenever I own a vehicle, I keep track of my expenses of repairs vs what it's worth every year. When all those repair costs would add up to more than its worth, it's time to send it down the road getting the most for it in the shortest time. I like new stuff. Maybe you don't, but least a new vehicle has warranties from 3-5 years covering most major items if something craps out, plus nothing feels more secure, or nice to drive than a new truck. My last truck was a tundra, and a gasaholic. Cost to own, and operate this tacoma with its pita nanny features that insurance companies adore made my premiums a 1/3 lower vs that old tundra. Same for fuel economy, especially now that I don't drive 50 miles back, and forth to my shop everyday.

How do you know what it is worth?
Gen1 taco prices are all over the place ! ? ! ? !
NADA table of value on the high end recently exceeded the MSRP of 27years ago
Believe it or believe it not

I go by kelley blue book retail estimates of used vehicles when you figure the year, mileage, conditions. and all the options in it that came with the vehicle.

Last edited:
Insurance companies only look what the actual cash value is, or book value. Dealers go by condition, and mileage for what year it is to give you a wholesale price.

If you fed the correct info in then thats what it is. Of course wholesale value will be much less.

would you please go out onto the interWebs and FIND a number of taco trucks (nationwide) of this vintage 5VZFE + MT that are for sale for that price that is also in extremely well-kept condition for its age and climate
thank you so much!

Back