2012 Tacoma - delayed engagement when shifting (automatic)

opolar

Hi all, I hope I can get some insight from the folks here. My 2012 truck kind off stalls the engagement /driving for a 2-4 seconds when automatic shifting from one gear to next. Or if I hit the break it reengages with a solid jerk. same when switching into reverse or into forward driving. Can I get any pointers on the problem please. Any help is super appreciated. I had two close call accidents because cars where to close to me and the car jerked back hard.
Big Mahalo! Thank you

The issue with this one is in the title,

(automatic)​

How does that help the OP????

Based on what we know.....the problem could be as simple as a low fluid level or as complex as a convertor. Many parts could be the source of the symptom, solenoids, valves, clutches.......

Frankly, short of checking fluid level, there isn't much a DIY mechanic can do with an automatic. OP may need to visit the local transmission shop or Toyota.

Last edited:
what if the AT fluid is OVERFILLED

will it cause any potential issues?

well darned it!

unless these Gen2 AT dipsticks on the 4cyl are NOT accurate i just don't know

How does that help the OP????

Based on what we know.....the problem could be as simple as a low fluid level or as complex as a convertor. Many parts could be the source of the symptom, solenoids, valves, clutches.......

Frankly, short of checking fluid level, there isn't much a DIY mechanic can do with an automatic. OP may need to visit the local transmission shop or Toyota.
Toyota will just replace the transmission as a whole.

Yep, Toyota did away with dipsticks on their v6. It's more of a pita to check the level on these sealed tranny's. Its critical to check the level at the right atf temp.

Yep, Toyota did away with dipsticks on their v6. It's more of a pita to check the level on these sealed tranny's. Its critical to check the level at the right atf temp.
Maybe thats why the level on the AT dipstick on my relatives '11 4cyl is so far up away from full hot level because the temp is not at the right atf temp
Or maybe transmission must be on neutral to check it?
The did have the yota shop do a drain and fill at 60k and 11 years

Really need to have the vehicle fully warmed up before checking the atf level on the dipstick. It'll always read low when around room temperature.
Once warmed I cycle my gear shift from park to drive, and back to park before checking the level when I had other Toyota trucks.

Really need to have the vehicle fully warmed up before checking the atf level on the dipstick. It'll always read low when around room temperature.
Once warmed I cycle my gear shift from park to drive, and back to park before checking the level when I had other Toyota trucks.

i checked the thing after a long hot run.. but it was not in neutral if it needed to be

i need to get their record of tranny drain and fill quantity and search for the proper level... unless anybody knows the proper amount???
this Toyota place has overfilled my '97 crankcase engine oil at least twice on me so IDK... they said they type info into a computer and it dispenses out the proper fluid amount automatically

Back