2012 Tacoma - delayed engagement when shifting (automatic)

there is a reported 'lurch' issue with these trucks i am finding on the interWebs

Check the Owner's Manual. Many times the OM will list capacities of the truck systems.

Often, the shop will up round to the next quart. Ie, if 5.2 quarts are needed, they will add 5.2 qts but the invoice will state 6 quarts.

Usually Toyota recommends what they call a drain, and refill. That was removing 4 qts, and adding 4 new. They used dexron3 in my older autos every 15k miles. Today is a different ATF. My 2001 tundra auto worked just as well at nearly 300k miles as it 19 years before doing that.

page 497

https://www.carmanual.org/toyota-owners-manuals/2011-toyota-tacoma-owners-manual-3748/

it only seems to list the entire transmission capacity of 10.8 qt
Normal.....

Most of the ATF is in the torque converter. Common practice when "changing" ATF is to measure what drains out. Add back the same amount, then verify the level is correct. Typically, the volume is around 4 qts with a simple drain & fill. Be sure to use the correct fluid check procedure for that specific truck.

I did a fluid & filter change at 109,xxx miles. Filter was about $5, 4 qts fluid and a jumper wire. Drain and drop pan, remove filter, install.

The process to verify fluid level is involved with multiple steps and the jumper wire. It all keys on the AT being at a specific temperature. I have a sealed transmission on this Gen2 V-6. The entire process took less than 1.5 hour. Most of the time was spent on the warming of the transmission and properly executing the check procedure. I plan on doing this again at 150,xxx miles because the drain & fill is only a partial fluid change.

that is what the invoice read for the ATF D/F ... 4 qts
YET when i check the dipstick after a hot run with truck running in park the dipstick level looks to be quite a bit above the hot full mark
IDK

its been 15k miles (18 months) since they had it serviced for the first time
should it go in for another AT D/F service to right this level?
or should the transmission pan be removed and filter changed which might take more ATF fluid than simply opening the drain plug

i don't know if the 4-speed AT needs that jumper wire or not?
i just read about that thing

A suggestion. Don't just read and apply any ol' procedure you find.

Find the CORRECT procedure for that specific truck engine/tranny combo. Then execute that procedure to check your fluid level. Adjust the level as needed.

Back