'97 Taco life + times, the chronicles of...

page five...
9-21-22

triggered on i29 north just after crossing that nasty broken Iowa border

IMG_3097.JPG

Last edited:
the temps are finally cooling off from the mid 90s to the 50s
when is that nasty cold-weather noise going to pop up :mad:

lookin' back...
BP/Amoco
BPme anniversary Sept-2o22.jpg

Last edited:
what looked to be a speck of dirt or sticky could turn into a royal pain :mad:

but i did get that window tinting finally fixed, they just redid it and blamed some glass burrs for the tiny bubbles

so after 3-n-half years of serious DD and all that jazz i come to an area that i have NOT EVER seen mentioned before as an area of potential concern on these tacoma frames...

it took a good 3 hours yesterday under there with a couple of long picks and half a bottle of WD-40 to flush contaminants out of this unmentioned before cavity...

the driver side area is partially blocked by that fuel tank :mad:

what is on the docket for today...

a deer hit creased it worse than 1st glanced at
:confused::eek::confused:

Last edited:
wheelin' it to Topeka today to pick up some parts after literally 7 months on backOrder
also getting that filter changed there

IMG_20220927_110236_820.jpgIMG_20220927_122949_894.jpg

Last edited:
i guess you get wot you pay for, unfortunately...
the toyota tech noted the truck had a slight weep from the output shaft seal of the transfer case to the rear driveshaft, but he would not check the actual level (in case it was just undercoating spray he was seeing) because the truck would need to be sent down the line where they could actually check that gear fluid level, which apparently is not :mad: included with the 22.50$ 4-pack-punch-card oil n' filter deal i bot in order to cut some costs on maintenance... 'coz 60$ oil-n-filter changes are retard

+ they did not even fill the washer fluid to full, it was near empty :confused:
and the skid was buggered, they told me they did not need to remove and reinstall it.. WuTTFuKK

Last edited:
its certainly nice to win a sweepstakes prize :eek:

shell 1 dollar GP Sept-2o22.jpg
4000V

Last edited:
hobbled under the rig with a few wrenches to get a check on that transfer gear oil fluid level and check on those possible leaks from seal and gasket
...wrenched off the transfer case fillPlug to check fluid level
stuck little finger in and could feel that nasty oil so level is probably oK?

Last edited:
that 13k filter, what does it look like inside?

IMG_20221001_141833_664.jpg IMG_20221001_141913_508.jpg IMG_20221001_141900_364.jpg
oil filter @ 13k.jpg

some razzle dazzle for that old-as-dirt Corolla
razzle dazzle on corolla fuel tube protector.jpg

Last edited:
removed front skid-splash-shield plate (heavy AF) to clean the dirt, sand, oil, wax and grime off and check the powdercoat from 3yrs ago.
had a few spots on the front frame xMember where the protective paint coating was peeling and had to touch it up with better quality extreme chassis satin paint
how the heck do the monkeys that took this plate off not know bean about how it is supposed to go back on :eek: found one bolt all cockEyed and near crossThreaded that attach the 2 plates and the front was looking droopy like it was gunna fall on off in a big wind

weather is supposed to start getting nippy in the mornings this week, mid-30s for low
time for that cranky cold-start whine to start going again
:eek:

droppin' the truck off today to get them 400+ dents fixed from June event

IMG_20221004_094434_735.jpg

then need to get back into wrenchin' on that old Corolla

Last edited:
I do not have this leaky axle seal issue after removing that stuck drum for inspection a short spell ago this past summer

this 2ooo rig has only 111k! miles onit... the axle breather is good and not plugged
so HOW does this even happen

i also noted this truck had NO brake drum gasket when that drum was pulled
https://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/brake-drum-gasket.11487/
wutz going on with that?

and check out this old-timer :cool:

Last edited:
the old Corolla belts did not make too much fuss coming off, just a few stubborn adjusting bolts that creaked and groaned being loosened for the first time in perhaps 13 years
the crankShaft pulley is looking even more stubborn to get off and replace to check where the oil leak is at behind the covers (hopefully not the oil pump!)

got truck back from fixing all those dents, will have to take back in once the insulator pad arrives from California wareHouse

... looking at this in ChicagaLand right south of US-14 near Crystal Lake

https://dryiceautos.com/

https://dryiceautos.com/contact

:

reply 97...

wrenchin' on that Corolla
Got the crank pulley off with a hobo freight air impact
Valve cover off to get timing covers off, the middle is stuck wutz the trick?

Old pulley and ac idler + oil weep

IMG_20221008_151814_213.jpg IMG_20221008_151849_577.jpg IMG_20221008_151840_340.jpg IMG_20221008_152018_858.jpg IMG_20221008_152025_798.jpg IMG_20221008_152853_904.jpg IMG_20221008_152808_569.jpg

Last edited:
wheelin' into middle of Chicago today, time permitting of course, whilst staying off those rotted tollRoads

Back