? Belts ?

six months later... i ought to take a current gander at them belts

getting close to 120k miles on 'em

there is wear and tear with friction on the pulleys?

Last edited:
where did i put those new belts i had on hand for replacement
arghhh... :mad: cannot find them in any parts box around

where did i put those new belts i had on hand for replacement
arghhh... :mad: cannot find them in any parts box around
I got the same issue for my Husqvarna lawn tractor. I bought a spare drive belt last spring, and never found what I did with it. I had to order another new one. Still to this day I can't figure out where it went ,or where I put it. I've spent hrs. tearing the garage apart looking for it.

Thats up there. I wonder if the mileage doesn't matter as much, as the length of time the belt has been in use?

just passed 27 months of use on those 3 belts

felt on them and twisted for tension check
it seem ok still but i really don't know

still cannot locate those replacements, i thot i was carrying them in the back of the truck JIC but they have not turned up yet arghhh

oh my my
what if i stashed those belts in the rear cubby under the jumper
i must go and investigate...

I guess I don't understand.

To me, it makes absolutely no sense to get a new belt then store it. Belts do not improve with age like wine.

Would you buy tires just to store them in the garage? Same thinking.

FWIW, rubber products age due to the loss of the aromatic compounds in the rubber. Humidity has very little impact. Heat and UV are the primary killers of rubber products. In truth, very little rubber is rubber. Most all is synthetic rubber. When the "rubber" is made, it is stabilized with all sorts of UV inhibitors and stabilizers. The phrase "dry rot" makes little sense. Although, the phrase is used to describe old UV damaged rubber that shows cracking, flaking, alligator skinning...... Not a thing to related to humidity.

Jay, I'll bet if you pop onto RockAuto or NAPA they have your belts in a warehouse. Probably ship them directly to you in a few days. Downside, you'll need to install the belts.

I've had enough experience storing belts whether in my shed, or garage, they don't seem go bad at least over a 10 year period. Trouble is my tractors are getting to the point the manufactures no longer support parts for them. If I need a belt I have to make a trip to an auto parts store, and hope they have something close. Having an original parts belt hanging in my garage is big when the time comes I need it.

Truck has 3 acc belts
Belts cost good coin to replace just by themselves... At least 100$
Needing another maintenance service that would require removal of those belt so there is no additional cost for the monkey slopshop

Heat and UV will kill belts. I always keep my old belts. For my Jeep I keep a new set in the Jeep, and the old set in the garage. When belts need changing the "new" belts from the Jeep go on and the old ones in the garage are replaced by the ones on the Jeep unless they are damaged.

I go places in my Jeep that if you need a belt, and can't figure out how to make one you're going for a long walk.

Okay, to be honest, even the remotest mapped trails these days look like the 405 freeway during rush hour at times. But I do wander out into the SoCal desert to areas that aren't visited much (at least for now).

Think of it this way.

Old belt. Fails when you are on an epic trip in Boondock, USA. You become stranded. Call a tow truck to haul the dead ride to the nearest town with a shop, Its late on Saturday meaning you need to cool your heels until Monday. Oh no. Belts on back order. Another couple days in Boonyville in a Super8 motel. Belt arrives, repair begins. A few hours later, the mechanic presents the invoice. Belt cost $150 with expedited shipping, labor cost $100, tow cost $250. The kicker is only one belt failed, meaning the other 2 could go at anytime.

I know this is bit of a fantasy tale. But the point is there. To clarify, the point. A failed belt on the road leaving you stranded is many times more expensive than a little bit of preventive maintenance. The belt hanging on a nail in the garage is worthless when you are broke down on the side of the road.

Your belts are showing signs of wear, the frayed edges, so it is time to replace them. Have you thought about what frays the edge of the belt? Assuming all the pulleys are in alignment. The belt has worn enough to ride deep in the pulley groove making the belt drive on the edge instead of driving on the V face.

Last edited:
Not as big a fantasy as you think. I was coming down 395 from Reno when I stopped for lunch in Lee Vining when I looked out the restaurant window and saw liquid running from under the Jeep. I quickly nursed it accross the street to the service station. No hose in stock. Delivery time several days.

I bandaged up the hose, topped off the fluids and headed off to Mammoth Lake where a Napa store was open. The kicker was they would be closing just about the time I got there. The nice folks at the store stayed open until I arrived. So, there I was in the dark, in the snow with a flashlight in my mouth changing the lower hose.

And now you know why ther is a box in my Jeep with spare belts, hoses, fluids and other parts I've ended up needing over the years.

I think I shall also explore options on replacement pulleys for alt and PS
They are definitely weathered :confused:

Not as big a fantasy as you think. I was coming down 395 from Reno when I stopped for lunch in Lee Vining when I looked out the restaurant window and saw liquid running from under the Jeep. I quickly nursed it accross the street to the service station. No hose in stock. Delivery time several days.

I bandaged up the hose, topped off the fluids and headed off to Mammoth Lake where a Napa store was open. The kicker was they would be closing just about the time I got there. The nice folks at the store stayed open until I arrived. So, there I was in the dark, in the snow with a flashlight in my mouth changing the lower hose.

And now you know why ther is a box in my Jeep with spare belts, hoses, fluids and other parts I've ended up needing over the years.
Yeah, I know. I had a near experience with a road break down.

I was on I-35N just south of San Marcos, TX rolling in my '71 Buick Electra 225 doing about 70 mph in the left most lane with moderate traffic. Suddenly, smoke began billowing out of the hood cowling. I could only see smoke, forward vision was completely obscured Blinker on to dive onto the shoulder, smoke just pouring out. Carefully, threw open the aircraft carrier sized hood while ducking the expected fireball. Once the smoke cleared. I found the belt, melted and tangled amongst the accessory drives and pulleys. Turns out the A/C compressor locked up and the ol' 455 cu in engine just kept pulling on the belt. Fortunately, it was just the A/C belt and not the alternator or P/S belt. Came out from under the hood to see a TX Trooper pulling in behind me with bubble gums flashing. He was helpful and saw me safely on my way. This was in early June during a summer internship for an engineering position. I had 4 x 70 A/C that summer.

In my view, belts are cheap preventative maintenance. A break down in Boonytown is much more expensive in $$, time, frustration and aggravation.

@JayQQ97
If your pulleys are worn, then so are the belts. Be wise, replace all, pulleys and belts.

I think I shall also explore options on replacement pulleys for alt and PS
They are definitely weathered :confused:
You can clean those up with fine emery cloth. But usually the pulleys are almost self cleaning as the belt goes across the surface. Unless of course they sit for a time. the worst thing for both belts and pulleys is oil so even if it's a small valve cover leak it can deposit residue on both.

You can clean those up with fine emery cloth. But usually the pulleys are almost self cleaning as the belt goes across the surface. Unless of course they sit for a time. the worst thing for both belts and pulleys is oil so even if it's a small valve cover leak it can deposit residue on both.
I'll have to take a pic for you when I can
Classic Toyota coating in the winter salt area
It just rotts right off! :confused:

received yet another set of all-new Yota belts

one made in Japan
one made in USA
one made in Indonesia... gotta check on that one there

Back